• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

triple 7 powder 3f

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is it 10% hotter than most powders? that is what I have heard. and was told to reduce the load by 10%. any truth to it?
I think there is a lot of mixed information in this, most of the info I have seen centers around Triple Seven not liking to be over compressed. First off, It can't really be "10% hotter than most powders" now can it? In as much as FFFFg is Hotter than equal amounts by volume of FFFg which is hotter than equal amounts by volume of FFg so how can Triple Seven be "10% hotter than most powders" when the other powders are not the same :dunno:

In short, I think most people are stuffing there modern made replica revolvers with real Black powder to the point where the ball and wad still JUST compress fully inside the cylinder (around 33 grains by volume in my .44 old army) and are backing off that by 10% or so due to not wanting to over compress Triple Seven. Subsequently many are finding they get better velocity from the Triple Seven load. . . . but it was concern about over compressing the Triple Seven and causing it to UNDER preform that changed the size of the charge, not, from what I can tell, any real concern over the Triple Seven Charge being too "hot" for modern made replica revolvers.

I think from those two things many have assumed that the better velocity + backing off by 10% = a concern for the safety of
Triple Seven Charge for modern made replica revolvers. I don't think that is the case, I think they are not linked. People back off the Triple Seven Charge so as not to over compress it. . . .period, and the result is a higher (But not worrisome velocity) for modern made replica revolvers. At least so far as I have experienced and seen and read.

I hear that 777 does not like being compressed. What's that about?

I believe it was likely much like with the “need” to reduce by 15% for safety, people read what Hodgdon stated, but misapplied it. Hodgdon stated when loading metallic cartridges one needed to use a very slight amount of compression. People equated it to cap n ball use just the same. What they stated for muzzleloaders was to “firmly seat the projectile on the powder.” Firmly seems a far cry from dainty compression. Maybe this is something seen more in rifles with larger charges? In my revolvers I can interchange T7 and Olde Eynsford powders. No difference in groups or POI offhand shooting at 15 yds. If things were erratic as suggested I’d think you’d see it.

is it 10% hotter than most powders? that is what I have heard. and was told to reduce the load by 10%. any truth to it?

Something like that. There are basically two grades of powder, whatever they call the common standard stuff and the sporting grade stuff such as Swiss and Olde Eynsford, along with a couple more powders we don’t get here in the US. What Hodgdon meant was if you wanted to roughly replicate the velocity you’d get in common Goex or somesuch powder you’d need to reduce the charge about 15%. Swiss and Olde Eynsford tend to be slightly better performers than T7, but we’re talking a matter of hairs.

I believe it was likely much like with the “need” to reduce by 15% for safety, people read what Hodgdon stated, but misapplied it. Hodgdon stated when loading metallic cartridges one needed to use a very slight amount of compression. People equated it to cap n ball use just the same. What they stated for muzzleloaders was to “firmly seat the projectile on the powder.” Firmly seems a far cry from dainty compression. Maybe this is something seen more in rifles with larger charges? In my revolvers I can interchange T7 and Olde Eynsford powders. No difference in groups or POI offhand shooting at 15 yds. If things were erratic as suggested I’d think you’d see it.

I find no change when I use paper cartages Vs strait loading, one would think half a sheet of cigarette paper (thin as it is) would still lead to a change in compression, yet no change in point of aim I can detect. I'm guessing you are right, it's just a little unclear wording and some assumption going a long long ways.

Latest posts

Back