• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Triple 7 in revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I finally opened my first pound of FFFg triple 7 (I am now completely out of Pyrodex) so I decided to try it in my Ruger old Army. I already had my pistol flask set up to load 21 gr. so out the door we went . After snapping off a half a dozen caps I went ahead and loaded using .457 around ball (Lee Mould) and covered up with Crisco I went ahead and started shooting 4 cylinders went off 2 did not. After recapping I got them to fire. I loaded again and had another mis-fire, after using a nipple pick and recapping , that one went off. I shot and reloaded six times (36 shots) I bet that I had six or eight misfires today and it had to be the powder .

When I finish cleaning my cylinder I do not lubricate it so oil residue has never been any issue with black powder or Pyrodex. I was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem .

PS I'm using Remington No. 11 caps the hot ones.

My friend and I were shooting our 1858 Old Army revolvers one afternoon not long ago. He had FFFg Triple Se7en powder and had the same problem you just described. He thought it was the caps also. I was shooting Pyrodex P and never had any problems.

He then loaded up his revolver with my Pyrodex P and all six cylinders and his caps went off. He decided he will go back to shooting his FFFg triple se7en (which he claims works excellent) off in his inlines again instead.

I forget the poster but I read once that Triple Se7en is harder to ignite then Pyrodex or Black Powder. I do not know it that is true, I have not had any problems with it in my sidelocks or inlines.

I managed to squeeze 35 grains of 3f T-7 into the cylinders of my Pietta '58 Remington. Yahooooooo. What a blast! (get it "blast") ohhhh well......
Anyway the stuff is POTENT. I chrono'd the things and the average was over 1000fps. Accuracy was NOT good. At least not as good as Goex 'er Elephant 3fg, and those two powders give nearly 800 fps but group under 2" at 25 yards. The T-7 grouped about 4", but then so did the same amount of 3f Swiss, the Swiss gave over 1000fps also.
Is 35 grains of T-7 and Swiss 3f too much in the '58 Remeinton? He$$ YES!
But absolutely no problems were encountered about the thing going off. There were no problems with cap debris either as the caps were probably vaporized. I never, not once, found any cap fragments at all.
The only problem I encountered with the 3f Swiss and T-7 loads was that everything on the shooting bench was either blown 10 feet away or set on fire. :bull:

I have been using ffg Triple 7 in my Ruger Old Army and have not had a problem with misfires. In fact, it has seemed so far that Triple 7 is more easy to ignite in side-hammer, in-line and percussion revolvers.

WOW Maxiball...............that is a WAY too hot load of 777 for a Pietta. :eek: It's only rated for 30gr of 3fg Black, so a 27gr load of 777 should be considered max.

I've had Real good luck using 27gr of 3fg 777 - in fact I won a postal match in March with that load against some custom CF handguns. ::

I use the CCI #11Mag caps with all my "cap" firearms and I've never had a problem with any 777 loose powder - Zero misfires. One reason I use the Mag caps is because I've inspected some of the standard caps and found some that looked like they had no compound in them, or at least too little to get the job done ......... the mags are a 1st time, every time cap - they get the job done. :)

Back