• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple 7 ignition problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A majority of all misfires upon loading the first shot on a clean rifle is a dirty nipple, drum or bolster regardless of powder used. One or all of them is full of oil and uncleaned crud. I rarely shoot percussion anymore but when I do I pull the nipple and clean it and blast everything out with a can of brake cleaner (using the straw that comes with the can) prior to shooting. Let it evaporate and then put in a little powder and fire off a blank. If everything is full of oil and crud, firing off a few caps won’t clear a fouled up mess of oil and crud. If everything is clean you shouldn’t need a musket cap period.
I've had good luck using cans of compressed air designed for cleaning computers! The main thing is to blow any oil or fouling into the bore so a patch can pick it up and remove it! Electrical contact cleaner works well also; for me the canned air is just cheaper and easier to come by! I haven't tried Brake cleaner - yet.

Throw the 777 on the flower bed, make buy, borrow, or steal some blackpowder. Why fight the gun to make it work with a propellant it is not designed to use? Am I missing something?

There isn't any solution to availability except ordering your max 50 lb allotment.omline, or putting an ATF approved powder magazine on the property, getting licensed and selling to others, or making your own. All doable solutions.

777 has never worked for me. Claims not withstanding for more velocity. The powder hates any kind of compression. It is also a failure in BPCR.

The last time I ordered 2FG was from a black powder club I belonged to in OR. The powder came in a 25 lb sealed bag in a box. I recycled and repainted all my surplus metal IMR and Goex cans and broke the powder down into 1 lb. lots myself. Still using it up in the shotguns, but at 89-100 grains per round it goes quick.

One thing I see is you use a nipple pick to clean the nipple. My I suggest the following leave the nipple on while sumping barrel . Then remove it. Next use a pipe cleaner to clean the nipple and flash channel don’t use the he soft craft ones. The nipple and flash channel my not be getting clean enough. my paper cutter sharps was notorious for misfires. Until I started cleaning w/ pipe cleaners. With its 2 90deg turns and close to 1” long.
Also when cleaning at the range try a under sized brush w gauze patch wrapped around it. I noticed I was getting more fouling out doing it this way . Face the barrel down when brushing. I started doing this just so I didn’t have patch’s come off the jag. For some reason I’d get a vacuum and it would pull the patches off. And w my Potsdam the breach is larger at the plug end. So patch’s had a tendency to come off the jag. When I bought my Potsdam there where 6 patch’s stuck at the breach stacked tight to ea other.

every one knows that T-7, is 10 percent hotter at given load amounts, so you might want to cut it back? and the great part of it is that it can be used for the mane charge in a flint lock, in place of BP, in case you cant get BP. and it needs no BP, booster under the T-7 to ignite it, but you will still have to prime with BP, although it can be used in the pan for priming, YES, try it.!

I find this discussion fascinating. We use triple 7 at the range for Hunter Safety because that is what the state has bought. We use whatever caps the state provides - currently CCI caps - not magnums. The guns don't get a lot of love and are stored in an inhospitable environment. I clean it and pop a couple of caps before the class. I walk through loading and explain all of the steps to the class. Then we shoot. In 5 years, we have had 3 misfires. One was my fault for not popping caps before starting the day. One was due to humidity causing powder to clump in the measure, and one was a couple of poor caps. We shoot anywhere from 30-50 times per class - no cleaning nor wiping between any shots. Accuracy is acceptable. I have found that popping a couple or more caps before the day begins and slapping the stock has resulted in consistent ignition almost every single time. Out of the number of shots that we have taken (wore out one old Traditions rifle), we have a great success rate. Your mileage may vary.

Each make of ML rifle is slightly different, especially at the breach and flash channel/nipple juncture. I have some ML's that don't hesitate to fire with T7 and some that will slightly hangfire if extra steps are not taken to insure contact between the powder and nipple. 2 particular barrels, both GM, are finicky with 3F T7 but not with 3F Goex. I like T7 because it does shoot much cleaner than BP. But it requires more attention to detail when loading.

People on muzzleloader boards been saying that for years. Never saw any evidence myself: Couple years ago i chronographed loads from a can of 777 that was opened at least five years previously. Velocities were very close to those from a newly opened can.
I have not had any problems with opened containers of 777. Seems as good now as a coupla years ago..

My best solution is give that stuff to someone you don't like and get some real honest Black Gunpowder and ignition problems go Bravo Yankee Bravo Yankee
Bunk.

😂 or… shoot it. Those who aren’t afraid to try something new will find a suitable application for it. There are several things I like about it and only one I truly dislike, and that’s the smell. I actually like the sulphuric smell of Swiss powder in the morning. T7 smells sort of chemical like. But it’s not hard to try to shoot targets downwind…

Yep, availiably.

Uhmmm, NO unless you're bent on just buying 1 or 2 lb at a LGS. Get with a black powder club like and NMLRA Charter Club and pool your order with them. And buy more than 1 or 2lb. I haven't had any issues getting powder even with the oopsie at Goex.

Back