• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple 7 and Pyrodex ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Malarky.

i've shot the stuff over a chronograph. 100 measured grains of Pyrodex RS gives velocities 100 fps greater than Goex 2F
That may have been the problem. I don't have, nor would I waste my money on a chronograph. The proof is from using the same guns for each powder and using a bench vice to hold the weapon. The proof is a lot more scientific than just how fast a projectile goes. The proof is in the point of impact. So, if that powder is giving more velocity, that may well be why the overall performance was so poor in comparison.

The Pyrodex MSDS:

http://www.hodgdon.com/msds/pyrodex.htm (nwic.edu)

The original Pyrodex patent which has changed somewhat over time:

45 parts of potassium nitrate
9 parts of charcoal
6 parts of sulfur
19 parts of potassium perchlorate
11 parts of sodium benzoate
6 parts of dicyanamide
1 to 4 parts of water

Note.... potassium perchlorate
Chlorate.....a oxidizer...think chlorine or in other words bleach.
This is the corrosive part of Pyrodex.

Last time I used Triple 7 was May 6, 2021. Yesterday I opened that same can that has been stored inside and has the original foam top under the plastic cap. Same rifle, same load. I used home-made caps. Shoot right at point of aim at 100-yards.

i have Pyrodex P from 1/21/21 that is opened and stored just like above. Yesterday, 2 different rifles got same point of impact as previous range session.

i have 3 revolvers loaded with Pyrodex P since March 2021. Yesterday they all fired every round into the black circle on the 10-yard target.

when cleaning, the rifle that used Triple 7 had more, thicker and slightly darker black on the patches, and it took one more pass to get to clean patches than the rifles that shot the Pyrodex. Maybe it’s the rifle.

My own conclusion is that if you store the powder in original container and put the foam circle under the plastic cap it will last at least a year without changing point of impact. Cleaning is about the same as Goex as far as # of patches until they came out clean. Lastly, loaded revolver stored inside worked fine after 10- months.

i have plenty of black powder but I tend to use it sparingly in my flintlocks and some occasions with revolvers. All of my cap rifles shoot fine with Pyrodex or Triple 7 although each shows a preference for one or the other. I shoot my shotgun a lot and use Pyrodex RS in them since it was readily available and priced good when I bought it. No issues in the smoothies.

My .50 shoots great with Pyrodex but the clean up sucks....Everytime I hear someone say it's the same as black I have trouble believing it .....maybe it's just my gun but with Pyrodex Ive got to clean it 3 days in a row and usually end it scrubbing it out with steel wool to get the rust to stop ..... Goex I just run 4-5 wet patches and a couple dries then a patch loaded with barricade and that's all. Couldn't tell you why I just know I never have rust if I use goex even shooting 40+ shots but one shot of Pyrodex and I'm cleaning all week trying to make it stop ..

Back