• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple 7 and Pyrodex ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used both. No problems with t7 as long as you don't carry over from one season to the next. See like once the cannis open, use it up.

Pyrodex also seems harder to clean. I'm pretty good about cleaning after shooting by have a few pits in an unmentionable tc barrel after using pyrodex.

I shot alot of Pyrodex P in my .50 caliber Hawken and it worked excellent. Never a misfire and was accurate with buffalo bore conicals. I use it in my cap-n-ball pistols and never had an issue. in my parger caliber gun like my 12 gauge, I use Pyrodex select and it works well for pheasant hunting..
Ohio Rusty ><>
that is exactly the results I had. I shot BP also and I dont see why people say Pyro is harder to clean then BP. hot soapy water totally dissolves it just in one application. to me BP left the rifle or pistol like it was found in the rubble at nagasaki where the Pyro left the guns a light gray color

Triple 7 works well in muzzle loading original shotguns. I have used it much at the Friendship trap range.

I tried T7 in my "chunk gun" and got great groups out of a fresh can! 1 year later using the same can I couldn't keep the shots on the paper!
I have found out that if you let it set for a month or more it silidifies into a solid & you have to take a dowel and break it apart. now I don't if this is a degrading process of the T-777, or not? I am not a chemist.

One more time with regard to Pyrodex and the other brands getting shut down. The following from the official statement:

Effective immediately, Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has made the decision to cease manufacturing operations at the company’s Camp Minden, Louisiana site while evaluating strategic options for the black powder business.

They do next expect any impact on their other categories or brands as the only location which produced black powder was the Camp Minden factory.

Ok, the question was how well subs work not why goex is closing the doors.
Personally I would like to hear from those who have used it in their flint guns. Does everyone use a bp starter charge or do some work without?

I also did not find it any more corrosive or difficult to clean than 'real' BP as well.

Same here. Both black powder and Pyrodex contain sulfur, potassium nitrate and charcoal: Pyrodex has some other ingredients. The agent of serious corrosion with black powder and Pyrodex is the same-sulfur.

i've cleaned up a truckload of neglected muzzleloaders. Any claim that the residue of Pyrodex is more corrosive than that of black powder is malarky. .

Pyrodex has some other ingredients.
Yep and they are pretty 'quiet' about what these other ingredients are and it has been 'hinted' they (Hodgdon) has stayed low profile about it to maintain Pyrodex' status as a non-explosive so it can be categorized similar to smokeless powder for the ease of retailers.

I am sure if it were ever really compared 'apples to apples' Pyrodex probably ain't too far (chemically) from 'real' black powder.

just maybe it is because it is made at the same plant? just maybe? jmho.

I have found out that if you let it set for a month or more it silidifies into a solid & you have to take a dowel and break it apart. now I don't if this is a degrading process of the T-777, or not? I am not a chemist.
I've not had that happen but I do notice bits of clumping! I've been wondering if putting one of those desiccant packs in the can would help.

Back