• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

triggers and trigger pull

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is always an interesting subject of discussion and one I like to here opinions about because what constitutes a good one is about as varied as thoughts on about any other aspect of muzzle loading.
I think we can all agree on clean breaking triggers as being desirable but there are varied trigger movements , shapes, positions and weights that complement or adversely effect individual shooters.
A for instance would be the fact that it took me a good many years to get over the thinking that I need a very light trigger to do my best work with rifle or pistol. Actually I find I can handle up to 3.5 or 4 pounds if it breaks cleanly and does not drag or have back lash.Even on a pistol.
As to shape I have always liked the Bisley shape on single actions revolvers with no grooves.
I never cared for double set triggers because they make me reach for the firing trigger generally and disturb my natural grip.I much prefer single set and close couple single sets for rifle work and not adjusted much below a pound of weight.
Also double stage triggers work pretty well to although I can't currently think of a muzzle loader that uses them.
My thinking is that on a hand gun the right trigger shape, weight, position and action would have the most effect on shooting prowess. MD

I've shot handguns for over 40 years, and I think the trigger is one of the most important factors, when it comes to accuracy.

In order to shoot small groups, as in target shooting, the hands need to be relaxed. That's hard to do with a heavy trigger pull. The next thing you're doing is flinching.

I shoot a Patriot 45 cal. and it has double set triggers.

Triggers and sights are usally the first thing I look at, to improve accuracy. In the case of the Patriot, only a trigger adjustment was needed.

I have an old CVA, with a single trigger, the pull is a little heavy, but breaks clean. The sights are fair. I shoot some good groups with it, but I think an experienced hand-gunner can overcome some of these problems.

I have two ROA's and the oldest one has a nice crisp trigger pull and the newer one does not. I shoot the older one, better. Next time it comes all way down for cleaning, it's going to get a trigger job, to boot.

Back