• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Trigger Spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R Ellis

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My trigger spring broke and I need a replacement it is the main spring for the set trigger on Dixie Poor Boy and help appreciated now waiting to hear from Dixie they are looking but I will try here in case they can't help it is 2 1/4 inch long and 3/8 wide screw hole center is 5/16 from rear of spring

'afternoon,

If you have a local blacksmith, they may be able to make you one. I'm fortunate to have a good one nearby, and he's currently making me one for a rifle that I've not been able to find a replacement for.

Mike

Thx if I dont find the correct one I will just get a shorter one which are available and redrill and thread a new screw hole but would like to replace with correct length if possible

Springs are not that hard to make. You have the old one so you know the approx length and thickness. Just get some banding material or another old spring of the approx thickness. Heat it up with your propane torch. Let it cool on a brick. Shape and drill the appropriate holes. Bend to the approx shape. Reanneal as above. Once cold, heat it up to where it is not attracted to a magnet. That is about 1475F. Quench in oil - peanut, canola, something. Shine it up with fine sand paper. Heat it up to where you can see the colors - shoot for a dark blue. Try it. If it needs to re-bent, Reanneal, Bend, Harden and try for the blue again. If it breaks, go back to the third sentence. Maybe go to a bit lighter blue, but it shouldn't break. Try it, what have you got to lose? This is therapy!

Better to know how to do it should you need to replace any other parts that may not be available besides better to have a spare and not need it then to need it and not have it. You were fortunate they found your spring I was just told a part I ordered would or could take 4 plus months if at all to get but I took advice here and made one now I know how to harden a frizzen

Springs are not that hard to make. You have the old one so you know the approx length and thickness. Just get some banding material or another old spring of the approx thickness. Heat it up with your propane torch. Let it cool on a brick. Shape and drill the appropriate holes. Bend to the approx shape. Reanneal as above. Once cold, heat it up to where it is not attracted to a magnet. That is about 1475F. Quench in oil - peanut, canola, something. Shine it up with fine sand paper. Heat it up to where you can see the colors - shoot for a dark blue. Try it. If it needs to re-bent, Reanneal, Bend, Harden and try for the blue again. If it breaks, go back to the third sentence. Maybe go to a bit lighter blue, but it shouldn't break. Try it, what have you got to lose? This is therapy!
its not that I don't know how its that I have other projects to do just wanted to buy one so I could work on other stuff THX anyway

I ordered the spring from Dixie yesterday morning now 24 hours later it is here and installed Gun is back in service that is good service from Dixie and UPS

Back