• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trigger question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 20 gauge Fowler made by Jackie brown.. it has a single trigger on it, it feels like the pull is 15 lbs. That’s probably an exaggeration…. But that’s what it feels like to me. How can I lighten the pull some without messing things up?
I’m not familiar with the single trigger. Thanks!

Have you taken everything apart and looked it at?

Could be dirt or a burr or soft metal.

Everything lubed up well?

You can buy fairly cheap trigger pull gages online. They're a huge help to any gun owner.

I attended this seminar at Dixon's.* Read and follow carefully. My locks all improved after doing this. He also stressed taking the lock apart (spring vise required) and polishing all mating services. Oil sparingly, and apply some grease to the toe of the frizzen.

*google "Casteel flintlock tuning" to find the facebook page with the details.

ADK Bigfoot

Part of the trigger pull weight is where the trigger bar hits the sear bar. The farther back the sear bar rides the trigger bar the harder the pull weight. While you are polishing the lock, remove the sear bar and trigger and polish the mating surfaces. Then add a bit of grease to reduce more friction. If the sear bar is too close to the trigger hinge point, the pull will be light but creepy. Too far back and the pull will be less creepy but harder to pull.

Last edited:
Took Fowler apart, I polished the sear, cleaned the trigger where it meets the sear, put it all back together and it seems a lot smoother. I’m going to work on it a little more tomorrow as I do beleive the trigger is being bound by the wood stock, not a lot.. just a little. I think that little bit of wood could make a big difference. When I slid the trigger back in and worked it it moved up and down a little in the stock. I then reinstalled the tang bolt that goes into the trigger bar and it seemed ok. I’ll look at it again tomorrow when I go out to the shop.

Start with reducing the power of the sear spring. 95% of locks come with over powered sear springs. All that is needed is enough power to return the sear to its rest position in a positive safe and sure manner. If you have to rely on the sear being held in place by the spring when cocked, you have a poor angle of sear to tumbler notch and a dangerous situation. A plus feature of this is that it also makes a quieter lock and reduces wear on the sear and tumbler. Do this first, then move on to other possibilities if needed.

Back