• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trigger Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the term that refers to the double trigger that can be used as a set hair trigger or as a standard trigger ? Thanks.

There are a couple of similar names for the common two trigger types.
They can be called a "Double Set, Double Lever" or a "Double Set, Double Blade" trigger.

There is also a Single Set trigger that as the name implies, only has a single trigger. It can be used as a simple trigger and just pulled to fire the gun or it can be pushed forward to set it. If this is done, just a light touch will fire the gun.

You didn't ask about it but there is also a "Double Set, Single Lever" trigger.
The front trigger does not have a blade on its top to push on the sear and fire the gun.
Rather, it's front trigger is just a "catch" to latch the rear trigger with the lever on top, in the cocked position when it is "set".

These "Double Set, Single Lever" trigger's rear trigger lever or blade always is pushing up on the lock's sear holding it in the fired position unless the rear trigger is first set.
These are the only set triggers that work with a lock that does not have a "fly" in the tumbler.

Last edited:
I have a rifle built by Tom Caster. He had installed an unusable, unrepairable single set trigger in it. I removed the single set trigger and installed a single trigger in place of it. All I used was the trigger plate and a single trigger from TOTW. That particular one worked great. Something along that line wouldn't be hard to do.

Would it pe possible to modify or move the trigger to get it to fire like a single trigger.
If your trigger is one of the Double Set types (meaning there are two triggers and it is possible to "set" them to a condition that takes almost no pressure to release them), Double lever (meaning each trigger has a "lever" or blade that can trip the sear), you shouldn't need to adjust them to allow the front trigger to fire the gun even if the rear trigger is not initially "set". In other words, it already should fire like a single trigger.

If you look at your trigger assembly, if the front trigger has a blade on the top of it, it is a DSDL trigger.
Set-Trigger.jpg

Back