• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger &metal ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a RE Davis #6 double set triggers. The rear trigger I would like to straighten for better comfort fit. Question is can I heat just the area I want to straighten quickly with aceyt,oxy torch and straighten it and not damage the rest of the trigger? Maybe put a good heat sink on the rest of the trigger.

Maybe! I think you can get a new one if it's wrecked. You could also heat treat it or case it depending on the steel it's made of.

From the Davis website: We believe Davis triggers are the finest on the market today. They have heat-treated steel triggers and mild steel plates. The bars can be cold bent slightly to match the stock contour. However, before bending the triggers, they must be heated to a red heat. The sear tips will become soft from heating, and should be rehardened. Heat to a bright cherry red, (1525 degrees F.) and quench in lightweight (10W) machine oil. Polish trigger, and slowly reheat to a light blue color (590 degrees F.) Most of our triggers are also available in kit form with assembly instructions included.

From the Davis website: We believe Davis triggers are the finest on the market today. They have heat-treated steel triggers and mild steel plates. The bars can be cold bent slightly to match the stock contour. However, before bending the triggers, they must be heated to a red heat. The sear tips will become soft from heating, and should be rehardened. Heat to a bright cherry red, (1525 degrees F.) and quench in lightweight (10W) machine oil. Polish trigger, and slowly reheat to a light blue color (590 degrees F.) Most of our triggers are also available in kit form with assembly instructions included.
Use your vise as a heat sink and heat bend the finger contact as you want. The vise will not allow enough heat to affect the main blade. If your vise jaws have heavy serrations you might want to sandwich the blade portion in some smooth metal when you vise it.

Last edited:
Back