• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger/lock question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding one of my muzzle loaders (traditions Deer Hunter) and and planing on putting a double set trigger in it instead of the factory single trigger. I want to reuse the factory lock, but am not certain if I need to replace any of the parts in the lock for it to double set...? Please help :(

Attachments

• WIN_20190630_18_25_35_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20190630_18_25_35_Pro.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 63
I am not sure if it has a fly which is a small pivoting doohickey on the tumbler that causes the sear to ride over the half cock notch when fired. Without that, because a set trigger trips the sear but does not hold it up, the sear nose may fall into the half cock notch when using a set trigger and firing the gun.

Set trigger won't work unless you have a fly on the tumbler. Only way you are going to get a fly in that one is with a milling machine and a lot of skill. Other option is to replace the lock with a different one. New inletting and fit it to the barrel. Also will likely need a new trigger guard. New inletting and probably fill in some of the old inletting. You would be just as well off to build a new gun.

OK, thanks. that what I thought. By "rebuilding" I mean I'm building a new gun; just re using the barrel. I'm making a whole new stock from scratch, the original was plastic, so I could't use it at rendezvous without looking funny. Was for sentimental reasons, hoping to reuse as many parts as possible. but its all good a new lock is doable, the one in the picture is not overly high quality. thank you for helping answer my question. any good recommendations on locks? looking at an R.E. Davis, a couple L&R, and a Lyman (have the great plains riffle) with an L&R double set trigger.

If you’re building a percussion rifle then most any lock with a fly will work fine. Percussion locks are simple and all work well enough.

He would most likely need to have an internal tumbler with bridle to keep the fly in position. There are some similar traditions locks with a bridled tumbler and fly. Those might be worth using as the replacement.

Back