• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

trigger job for a single set big boar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok so i put together a all original big boar rifle and was horrified when i tried to pull the trigger as i am used to very nice triggers and like my triggers set at about 3lbs so i polished every part in the trigger group and got it a lot nicer and it breaks at about 5-1/2 lbs i read some forums on this very issue and they seemed to be going back and forth on the subject! any ideas on the proper way to do it if at all ? thanks !!

Sounds like the sear engagement has an incline angle in it. It has to move up hill against the spring tension instead of just moving out from under the load at a 90 degree angle and letting off.
Hard to tell without seeing it under magnification but that would be my guess.

check and insure the lock screws are not to tight, or inners are rubbing against the wood.

The two main parts of the geometry is the distance the trigger pivot is from the sear and the angle of the notch on the tumbler.

They key is not the angle in relation to the center of the tumbler, it's really the angle in relation to the rotation of the sear around the sear pivot.

Sometimes just some light smoothing of all the moving parts with some fine 600 grit paper and then a good cleaning a proper lubrication can easily give you an extra 20 percent less trigger pull with a much noticeable improvement in ease and smoothness of the pull too.

Just getting that pivot point closer to the sear bar can make a huge difference.

The gunsmith of Grenville County is an excellent book, even if you don't plan on doing a full build yourself. Good bits on history, styles, and excellent write-ups on the detailed working on every part of a longrifle.

thanks guy's i checked all those items i did do a high polish on all the parts that touch or pivot or whatever and greased it up well i did find two things out if your finger is higher on the trigger it is a lighter pull than on the bottom tip of the trigger and just loosening the lock screw a little bit seems to make it a tad lighter but the trigger is smooth as butter that much i like !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with MD in his assessment of the problem. I bought a Pedersoli rifle that had a trigger pull that was horrific. I found two things wrong with it. First, the full cock notch in the tumbler was way too deep and the trigger had a long way to go to let off. Secondly, the geometery of the full cock notch was way off, too. In order for the trigger to let off, it had to rotate the tumbler back. These two things combined to give the trigger a terrible pull. I didn't try to salvage the tumbler because I just happened to have a Pedersoli tumbler that was a good one and would drop into the lock for a perfect fit. That made all of the difference in the world. Now my rifle had a very sweet trigger pull. That is why I think that MD hit the nail on the head with his assessment of the problem. :thumbsup:

yeah i looked at it makes sense on the geometry aspect.the wood is not interfering as i use inletting black to check that kind of issue. the trigger is very very smooth so i'm thankful for that at least i'm going to the range with it first and see how she does.then i will decide if i want to monkey with it some more or not ? thanks for all the advise !

I have a couple of Big Boars, both with unaltered factory triggers. They break cleanly in the 3# range, so I've never been tempted to mess with them.

But I'll be watching to see what you come up with!

shot the big boar for the first time today wow i'm impressed !! trigger really wasn't too bad i'll give it some more time and then i'll re polish and grease up.

Back