• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger Install

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My Jim Chambers Virginia Rifle project is on hold because I can't figure out how to properly install the trigger. I have drilled three holes for the pin and don't want to continue.

I got the trigger in, but it just doesn't make sense because the pull is tremendous. I was told to cut/file the trigger area that contacts the sear bar to an angle, but that would create a lot of trigger play. Because of the trigger plate and inletting etc. there is no room to play with trigger placement.

Any ideas? I have The Gunsmith of Grenville County but there is nothing that has helped.

Thanks

I pinned mine about 1/4" away from the sear bar, and a little higher than the sear bar. I made a mark on the side of the trigger where the sear bar hit it when put into the lock mortise, then drew an angled line of about 30 degrees sloping from the pivot side of the trigger down to the rear side of the trigger, that intersected the point where the sear hit the trigger. If this line is below the top of the trigger, than just draw a straight line down from the little nub at the top until it intersects with the sloped line. I then cut most of the excess off with a hacksaw, and filed it down until it was nice and snug up against the sear bar. The gun has fantastic trigger pull, very light and smooth.

Here's a quick little drawing I did in paint to show you what I'm talking about:

trigger.jpg

Good drawing Static. The builders books all say pin the trigger high when what they mean is get the trigger pivot point as close to the sear bar as possible.

My 2cents would be to install a Davis set trigger and toss that one. If you want a single (push to set) trigger MBS has a new Davis that looks real nice. If'n you are going to be shooting it for accuracy, bet you will wish you had a set trigger later if you don't!
'Course, I am a set-trigger kinda guy :winking:

Trigger said:
Good drawing Static. The builders books all say pin the trigger high when what they mean is get the trigger pivot point as close to the sear bar as possible.

Actually when the books say pin the trigger high that is "exactly" what they mean. The trigger pin should be as high as possible, preferrably higher than the pivot point of the sear. Pinning the trigger above the sear pivot point, as well as only 1/4" or so in front of the sear bar, is what makes for a light comfortable trigger pull.

Randy Hedden

I must thank you guys , too :hatsoff: . I'm building a Chambers pistol kit and even though I have two books on gun building , I still wasn't exactly sure of the best way to fit a pinned trigger . I was going to file that little nub off the top of the trigger 'til I read this thread . Now , I'm glad I haven't gotten that far yet . Thanks for clearing this up and saving me some grief :bow: .

Harddog said:
Actually when the books say pin the trigger high that is "exactly" what they mean. The trigger pin should be as high as possible, preferrably higher than the pivot point of the sear. Pinning the trigger above the sear pivot point, as well as only 1/4" or so in front of the sear bar, is what makes for a light comfortable trigger pull.

Randy Hedden

Wrong Randy. You could pin the trigger high but place it so that the tip of the arm contacts the sear bar. That arrangement would give a poor trigger pull, as implied in the drawing.

Conversly, you could pin the trigger lower but by placing the trigger so that the arm contacts the sear bar at 1/8 in. from the pivot point and you would still have a good trigger pull even tho you pinned it low.

What counts is the leverage advantage, not whether the trigger is pinned hi or low.

Wrong Randy. You could pin the trigger high but place it so that the tip of the arm contacts the sear bar. That arrangement would give a poor trigger pull, as implied in the drawing.

Conversly, you could pin the trigger lower but by placing the trigger so that the arm contacts the sear bar at 1/8 in. from the pivot point and you would still have a good trigger pull even tho you pinned it low.

What counts is the leverage advantage, not whether the trigger is pinned hi or low.[/quote]

Trigger,

I have been through this discussion many, mnay times. You are correct when you say it is function of mechanical advantage. What I am saying is that the best possible mechanical advantage, (leverage), on a trigger is when the trigger is pinned as high or higher than the pivot point of the sear and somewhere about 1/4" in front of the sear bar. There is no argueing this as it is simple physics. Maybe you don't really understand physics??

Randy hedden

No, Randy, I know little of pyhsics, but I know about mechanical principles. The best mechanical advantage will be obtained when
1. The force applied to the end of the sear bar is perpendicular to a line running from the sear pivot to the end of the sear bar. ( a direct contradiction of your up down theory) The advantage will increase as the end of the sear bar is moved farther away from the sear pivot.

and

2. When the force is applied at that point by a lever, the fulcrum of which is as close to the sear bar end of the lever as possible while the trigger end of the lever is any distance from the fulcrum. But the advantage will increase as the trigger end of the lever is moved further away from the fulcrum.

If you understand physics as well as you imply you will quickly see that pinning the trigger hi, low or even west by northwest matters not. What matters the ratio of the length of the trigger to the length of the trigger arm with the pivot of the trigger as the fulcrum with the size and shape of the sear remaining constant.

Trigger said:
1. The force applied to the end of the sear bar is perpendicular to a line running from the sear pivot to the end of the sear bar. ( a direct contradiction of your up down theory) The advantage will increase as the end of the sear bar is moved farther away from the sear pivot.

and

2. When the force is applied at that point by a lever, the fulcrum of which is as close to the sear bar end of the lever as possible while the trigger end of the lever is any distance from the fulcrum. But the advantage will increase as the trigger end of the lever is moved further away from the fulcrum.

If you understand physics as well as you imply you will quickly see that pinning the trigger hi, low or even west by northwest matters not. What matters the ratio of the length of the trigger to the length of the trigger arm with the pivot of the trigger as the fulcrum with the size and shape of the sear remaining constant.

Trigger,

I can see that this conversation is going no where. You are so sure that you are right and people like the Dixons, William Buchle, Peter Alexander, the guys who wrote the books, and a host of custom gunsmiths who pin their triggers like I suggested are wrong.

When one has such "superior knowledge" like yourself then there is no use trying to carry on a conversation about anything.

Randy hedden

See there... use a set-trigger and you would have avoided an arguement :rotf:

idahjo said:
My 2cents would be to install a Davis set trigger and toss that one. If you want a single (push to set) trigger MBS has a new Davis that looks real nice. If'n you are going to be shooting it for accuracy, bet you will wish you had a set trigger later if you don't!
'Course, I am a set-trigger kinda guy :winking:

I used to be a "set-trigger" kinda guy, then I built a rifle with a pinned single trigger like you see above, and now, honestly, I don't think I'll ever want another set trigger. A properly installed simple trigger is a pure joy to pull, and there's no mussing and fussing with adjustment screws, loud clicks when you set the trigger, etc. :thumbsup:

I pin my triggers like Randy suggests, for the most part. I pin way high, about 3/4 from the trigger shoe and about 3/8"from the sear. With my methods you can actually fire the gun at 1/2 cock if you try real hard, but I try to avoid that particular angle of the trigger bar due to safty reasons. I've talked many customers out of set triggers, they're generally shocked how light I can set up a single trigger, many tell me my single triggers are lighter than the set triggers they've owned in the past.
I don't know nothin' 'bout no physics, but I do know how to make a trigger work..... :haha:

I frequently make my own triggers, pinned in a plate or in the wood. One I made pinned in a plate goes at 7 ounces! Offered to stiffen it up, but Carole likes it and doesn't want a heavier pull. This on an untuned flintlock. That sear is about 1/4" behind the trigger pin. When I pin in the wood, I like the contact about 3/8" behind the pin (which I put higher than the sear bar). This to have a reasonable two to three pound trigger pull. Closer and the pull weight gets pretty light. By making my own triggers I can get the shape I want in the guard of choice. You can also shorten the trigger pull (reach) by curving the trigger back. Carole's trigger reach is about 12" as I remember. I don't use set triggers unless someone wants one. Photos of Carole's rifle are in the Photo forum under "Carole's .40" May 21 and 22, 04. Maybe also in flintlock and builder's bench, don't remember.

I've only pinned one trigger in the wood and it worked out fine, but usually I make my trigger plates w/ a u-shaped frame for pinning. The pin is 3/8" from the underside of the trigger plate and 1/4"-5/16" from the sear bar. This arrangement yields trigger pulls of approx. 2-1/2- 3 lbs which is quite suitable for most shooting, especially since there's no "creep". Recently did a "Hawken" w/ a DST and both pulls were excellent, but would rather go w/ a simple trigger....why complicate things?.....Fred

Trigger,

I can see that this conversation is going no where. You are so sure that you are right and people like the Dixons, William Buchle, Peter Alexander, the guys who wrote the books, and a host of custom gunsmiths who pin their triggers like I suggested are wrong.

When one has such "superior knowledge" like yourself then there is no use trying to carry on a conversation about anything.

Randy hedden
[/quote]

Having dealt intimately with technical manuals for 30+ years I can speak with authority when I say people who can do things with expertise are as common as peanuts. People who can explain these things in a way everyone else can understand are not. The skill sets are completely different. I suspect you simply don't understand (another skill set) what I said. Re read it, memorize it so that you know what each variable is and then think about it. It will come to you in the fullness of time.

If I could figure out how to use this editor to draw I could draw you a diagram illustrating what I mean along with the simple math to prove it.

Trigger, I think both of you guys are saying the same thing.One in easy to understand sentences,the other in tech man fashion.Most people can't understand tech manuals,including engineers.I know from expierence.

Not quite Fitter. Harddog is repeating a mantra he read in a book. I was giving a set of general rules for designing a good trigger. They overlap, but I can use his mantra to build a bad trigger: that is my whole point.

Having dealt intimately with technical manuals for 30+ years I can speak with authority when I say people who can do things with expertise are as common as peanuts. People who can explain these things in a way everyone else can understand are not. The skill sets are completely different. I suspect you simply don't understand (another skill set) what I said. Re read it, memorize it so that you know what each variable is and then think about it. It will come to you in the fullness of time.

If I could figure out how to use this editor to draw I could draw you a diagram illustrating what I mean along with the simple math to prove it.

Trigger,

First of all, I don't know why you took such offense at my original message?? When you answered back it didn't appear that you had even read or comprehended my message becasue you decided to set up hypothetical trigger installation scenerios that I never indicated. Methinks i struck a nerve and you went off on a tangent and wrote a reply in haste.

I was a Journeyman Tool & Die Maker for 35 years. As one i had to give direction to Journeyman Tool & Die Machinists that did machining for me as well as being able to converse with, understand, and make myself understood, to engineers and others who can draw pictures, but can't make an actual working part. I never had any trouble expressing myself on technical matters in a way that others would understand. BTW, a daily part of my job for 35 years was the use and application of physics, trigenometry and geometry.

Seems to me that Mike Brooks, a well respected and nationally known custom muzzleloading gunsmith, didn't have any problem understanding what I was talking about.

You are trying to make installing a simple single trigger into rocket science. It isn't that I don't understand what you said, but that you were seriously changing the parameters of installing a single trigger by introducing elements that don't even apply to the job at hand. You brought into the conversation some ideas about what could be done with the sear, the length of the trigger, etc. which are not options once you have a certain lock and have already purchased a trigger and are trying to install it. At the point in time that you have inlet your lock and are trying to install a purchased trigger, you only have the positioning of the trigger as an option, not changing the length of the sear, changing the sear bar or changing the length of the trigger plate. If you really want to talk about the principles of physics, geometry, and such then we should do so elsewhere. I just didn't really want to get into a long discussion about all the extraneous elements that you were trying to insert into a straight forward conversation about installing a simple trigger.

Actually, there is no need for another drawing as the one presented by StaticXD00d is more than adequate, with some explanation, to illustrate trigger installation.

I would like to think that we are trying to convey the same message, but I don't think so.

I still don't know how you can say that you are right and all the guys who wrote the muzzleloaading building books and all the muzzleloading gunsmiths who install simple triggers using the method I have stated are wrong.

You are not just argueing with me, but in essence, you are argueing with the whole combined knowledge of the field of muzzleloading gunsmithing.

Just in case you have lost sight of my original message I am going to restate it:

"The trigger pin should be as high as possible, preferrably higher than the pivot point of the sear. Pinning the trigger above the sear pivot point, as well as only 1/4" or so in front of the sear bar, is what makes for a light comfortable trigger pull."

There is no debate about this among experienced competent muzzleloading gunsmiths. There is no debate that the trigger needs to be pinned "high". In reference to my statement, the only thing that some builders change is the distance from the pivot point of the trigger to the contact point of the sear bar making this distance just a matter of personal preference of the particular builder. They all know that they need to mount the trigger with a "High" pivot point. Myself, I usually hand forge my own triggers so that I can mount them as high as I like them.

When you install a simple trigger, the "fulcrum" that gives you the mechanical advantage is actually the pivot point of the trigger. The lever that you are trying to gain the mechanical advantage for is the trigger plate and a small part of the trigger bar. Yes, you can gain a very, very slight additional mechanical advantage by making the trigger plate longer, but there is a limit to this because the trigger plate has to fit and operate within the confines of the triggerguard. THe amount of mechanical advantage gained by elongating the trigger plate is minimal at best. However, the mechanical advantage gained by placing the pivot point of the trigger, (the fulcrum,) high means the difference between a 5-6 pound two finger trigger pull and a nice light crisp trigger pull. If you position the trigger low, as you have proposed, yet have the pivot point of the trigger close to the contact point of the sear bar you have gained some slight mechanical advantage, but the fulcrum effect is an infinitesimal part of that sight mechanical advantage because the pivot point of the trigger, the fulcrum, is actually below the weight that you are trying to move with your lever. The actual weight you are tring to move is not out on the sear bar somewhere, but is at the contact point of the sear with the tumbler notch.

Randy Hedden

Back