• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tried and true drying time ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never used straight boiled linseed oil but have read that adding a small amount of Japan drier helps it cure. Don’t know the ratio nor do I have any FHE but I did buy a can of it at Home Depot not long ago…Maybe something to research.

I fink F W & me was drug up in the same alley.. I lurnd sitting next to (Not Nelly,But) two of the best stockers working in Brum for the top London trade.. It took 3 months to get an acceptable Oil Finish on the Curcasian stock that you may have seen on my Metford Replica . Wet it,smooth it 4/5 times with 1000 grade with a few drops of R A G L O on the last 2 smoothings to fill the grain. Then start work..A couple of drops every other day for as long as it takes. Usul About 3 months to have it rite. The people I learned from never put stocks in the bright lite ,alays on the back shelf in a dark corner.
Saves any Bleaching and shews the grain. Every 'uns in too much 'urry now-a-day..Very - O.D.. 173.JPG173.JPG

Last edited:
I've always been in awe of those finishes the fine London gun makers (Boss, Purdey, H&H etc.) put on their fine guns. I've watched some videos saying they may put as many as 120 coats of finish on it over 3-4 months' time before it's pronounced done. Those finishes however didn't come about until the latter quarter of the 19th century so are not really PC for the 18th-early 19th century guns I'm more interested in building.

I would love to get ahold of a "basket case" English cartridge gun in need of restocking just so I could try my hand at doing it however. Probably a 24 gauge SxS, just, because.

I've always been in awe of those finishes the fine London gun makers (Boss, Purdey, H&H etc.) put on their fine guns. I've watched some videos saying they may put as many as 120 coats of finish on it over 3-4 months' time before it's pronounced done. Those finishes however didn't come about until the latter quarter of the 19th century so are not really PC for the 18th-early 19th century guns I'm more interested in building.

I would love to get ahold of a "basket case" English cartridge gun in need of restocking just so I could try my hand at doing it however. Probably a 24 gauge SxS, just, because.
id

Colonel, You wount fine a 24 bore Unmentionable except may be an old French,Belgian or Spanish/Italian.. .410", 28 or 20 bores yer limit unless you go 16 or 12b. I'll settle for mid 1800's to date for Oil finish but I'm sure I've seen earlier than that over the years and it does really take 3/4 mounths to have it right ..OLD DOG..

Back