• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Tricorn (cocked) Hat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 20200925_092617.jpg
    20200925_092617.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 81
Have a hat that was purchased from Jas Townsends. Never worn. $65 Shipped

Attachments

• hat 1.jpg
    hat 1.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 101
  • hat 2.jpg
    hat 2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 106
For the rapidly growing sons, any of Townsend's adjustable liner versions would be great, as they can grow with the boys.

My head with tape measure is 23 inches.

My old Eddy Cowboy hat is 7 1/4.

They wear my size hat (and are taller than me too!

my hat is a 7 5/8, but has an adjustable setting. My offer of $65 shipped still stands!

ATS:

I ordered a tricorn from Townsends a few years ago; when it arrived it felt like it was made from stiffened cardboard. I sent it right back. Yours appears softer. What is is made from?

ADK Bigfoot

Crazy Crow has felt blanks, buy one and fold it up and sew it yourself.
Nit Wit
I'll second nit's suggestion! Figure out where the folds will be and use steam from a kettle to soften the fold line, and then fold it. Punch a few holes and lace the three sides to the crown. Voila!

@ADK Bigfoot Believe mine is the wool felt. Nice material! You may have had the fur felt hat, I think. Hat is still available at $65 shipped

Been wearing tricorns since the early 90s. Here in the pacific north wet they dont last but a few years. Less when you wear them hunting in the cascades in the fall.

I buy the blanks and make them fit the rest of my outfit. I go to thrift stores and find an old hat with a liner than fits me. I removed the liner and sew it into the underside of the hat. If not your sweat will defeat the hat after a few summers.
How I tie the two flaps up is with a boot lace from old combat boots, the army gave me. I thought it fitting. Even stuck a feather in it, but ate the macaroni.

The current one Im using is brown, I bought it at a mountain man swap meet for $25.
The black ones were $15.

Black is for military, and other colors mainly brown were civilian. The only reason I made a brown one is because I saw the patriot movie. Dang you Benjamin Martin!

WARNING! If you shoot in the rain with a flintlock, turn your hat around.
If you tilt your head down to look in the pan, a stream of water will fill your pan. Washes the powder clean out.

Last edited:
Where on your head are you measuring? A cowboy hat is oval blocked where as an 18th hat is round blocked, so one measurement isn't any good for the other. Measuring around your head at the eyebrows is usually a good guess for a round block measurement.

Back