Quantcast

WANTED Tricorn (cocked) Hat

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Armando

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for gently used cocked/tricorn hat.

I’m outfitting not only myself but two rapidly growing sons.

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Any idea about the size that's needed?

Musketeer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
For the rapidly growing sons, any of Townsend's adjustable liner versions would be great, as they can grow with the boys.

Armando

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My head with tape measure is 23 inches.

My old Eddy Cowboy hat is 7 1/4.

They wear my size hat (and are taller than me too!

ats5331

32 Cal
Reaction score
my hat is a 7 5/8, but has an adjustable setting. My offer of $65 shipped still stands!

ADK Bigfoot

40 Cal
Reaction score
ATS:

I ordered a tricorn from Townsends a few years ago; when it arrived it felt like it was made from stiffened cardboard. I sent it right back. Yours appears softer. What is is made from?

ADK Bigfoot

Jaeger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Crazy Crow has felt blanks, buy one and fold it up and sew it yourself.
Nit Wit
I'll second nit's suggestion! Figure out where the folds will be and use steam from a kettle to soften the fold line, and then fold it. Punch a few holes and lace the three sides to the crown. Voila!

Johnny Tremain

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Been wearing tricorns since the early 90s. Here in the pacific north wet they dont last but a few years. Less when you wear them hunting in the cascades in the fall.

I buy the blanks and make them fit the rest of my outfit. I go to thrift stores and find an old hat with a liner than fits me. I removed the liner and sew it into the underside of the hat. If not your sweat will defeat the hat after a few summers.
How I tie the two flaps up is with a boot lace from old combat boots, the army gave me. I thought it fitting. Even stuck a feather in it, but ate the macaroni.

The current one Im using is brown, I bought it at a mountain man swap meet for $25.
The black ones were $15.

Black is for military, and other colors mainly brown were civilian. The only reason I made a brown one is because I saw the patriot movie. Dang you Benjamin Martin!

WARNING! If you shoot in the rain with a flintlock, turn your hat around.
If you tilt your head down to look in the pan, a stream of water will fill your pan. Washes the powder clean out.

Last edited: