Quantcast

Trecking with a muzzleloader

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
I am not from the USA so do not know. Why is a seatbelt law not compatible with your constitution?

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Because it inhibits one's right to live as they choose. Further it assumes the individual is not capable of making a sound decision about their self interest. Personally, I have always locked my car doors upon entry, even before applying the seatbelt. I reason I have no need for a seatbelt if I'm not moving. :cool: I do have need of security when stopped.

I would not appreciate a law requiring me or anyone else to lock a door.

Reaction score
I will block you, do the same for me and you may be happier.
Kind regards.
I do not block people, unless it is over the top. Censoring does nobody any good.

I guess I should have looked, I didn't realize you were in France. Your culture may be different with regards to personal choice.

eugenenine

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I wouldn't do that. In Minnesota, you say yes or no, and show your license. Trying to prove what you are doing would put them in a very bad mood, and most of them are already grouchy.
I mean when they ask to see a hunting license (though I feel having to have a license to hunt or carry a gun is in the same spirit as the seat belt law mentioned later in this thread). So you reply "I don't have a hunting license, I'm not hunting". And he says "then why are you carrying a gun if your not hunting". "Sir, its called historical trekking. Would you like to know more about it?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I mean when they ask to see a hunting license (though I feel having to have a license to hunt or carry a gun is in the same spirit as the seat belt law mentioned later in this thread). So you reply "I don't have a hunting license, I'm not hunting". And he says "then why are you carrying a gun if your not hunting". "Sir, its called historical trekking. Would you like to know more about it?"
It is an unfortunate gray area that I do not like either. It is kind of like fishing in the spring. Years ago I found northern pike would smash top water lures early in the season in the right spots. It was so much fun watching their wake as they caught the lure. That was until one day I was caught by a DNR officer who attempted to write me up for bass fishing out of season. I tried to explain that I was pike fishing, but it only really caught on once he saw I had a steel leader. Even still, he suggested that I use a different lure. The sad thing is that I very rarely catch bass top water that early in the season, and probably catch more bass with a more traditional pike lure like a husky jerk. MN has since opened up a catch and release only season for bass to try and eliminate that problem.

My suggestion is to just do it. You aren't breaking any laws that aren't gray to begin with. Being out there in old school clothes with a muzzleloader, I doubt will get too much opposition. Contrast with going out with a rusty old 10/22 and a spot light, you might not get such luck. Just tell them you are hiking, open carry is very common with hikers.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I do not block people, unless it is over the top. Censoring does nobody any good.

I guess I should have looked, I didn't realize you were in France. Your culture may be different with regards to personal choice.
I agree.....we need to be more open, not less. Back when I used Facebook, even if someone used profanity on my page, I would delete that, then message the person and request they reply again, but sans the bad language. I only deleted a few people, they were clearly mentally disturbed, and then only as a last resort. One guy was very anti-Semitic, I deleted him for that, but only after a messaged warning.

Carl in France is from England, then moved to France. I doubt it's so much a cultural thing, but a problem with modern society across the world. It's just so easy to "delete" people that many cannot resist. We live in a "click" and "swipe" world and it's just not that patient, forgiving, or really, friendly.

The gentleman that offended him did get emotional, which is always a mistake. "Control your emotions or your emotions will control you." [Author unknown, unless it's me].

Back to the topic.....I would enjoy a trek across the countryside, with flintlock, but I'd have a powerful and modern piece under my frock.

A few years ago a mentally disturbed man hacked a couple of people to death with a machete on the local Appalachian Trail.

Reaction score
Never go anywhere with out your friend tucked in your belt it has become a mean world out there and it is not going to get any better.

Reaction score
At no point was I angry, or emotional. All I did was say what was on my mind in the most direct way possible. Unfortunately there is a lot that is lost without being face to face. Text has its limitations, and I did not mean to personally offend anyone.

As for the safety of hiking. Don't let the news scare you. It is much safer today than it was 20 years ago, both in general crime, and the random crazed lunatics. Well, maybe the inner cities this year is an exception. There always will be criminals, dangers, even a rabid raccoon is nothing to toy with. Don't let that stop you.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The use of the word "angry" is likely what did it.

Oh! I misunderstood that. Most Europeans I have met and those I have conversed with are not big on the "individual choice" thing. It makes sense, the top-down control structure is why people left to come to the colonies in the first place.

megasupermagnum,

The word I took to be "emotional" was the word "angry," perhaps he took it that way too. I wouldn't have blocked you, I have never done that on a discussion forum, although I've been told I was blocked before. More and more, people react much too quickly or are simply, not up for a discussion. Many confuse "debate" with "argument" or the word "argument" (which is merely one's reason for a position) for "aggression."

I used to think this was how it was with the Left but no, many on the Right feel that way too.

An increasing number of people want agreement----anything less is a "personal attack" in their minds.

Myself, I love disagreement! I never learned anything from someone I agreed with. (Was that Robert Heinlein?)

I agree, one should go out and hike. Also, self defense is the most personal choice a person can make. However, it comes down to how one views "odds." I wore the seatbelt before it was law, even though I never saw anyone wear it before in all the car rides I took as a child. I've driven over 500,000 miles so far and never needed it. One is only going to need it if they roll over or have a significant front-end collision where they stand to be ejected or hit the windshield. However, we don't know when a significant crash or roll over is going to happen and once we do realize that it is imminent, it's too late to put the belt on.

Same goes for being armed. Bad guys exist, they never make an appointment, and we are not supermen. They also aren't known for letting us run back to our cars or home because "we forgot something." :p

Reaction score
Greg, yes we Live in a world where open discussion or debate is sometimes frowned upon and for heavens sake never voice you opinion for the sake of hurting someone's feelings. Too this I say Bull S@@@ Put on your big boy pants and join the real world. I as you are guaranteed that right by one of the greatest documents ever written, Perhaps the rest of them may be lead like sheep to slaughter without opinions but for me never.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Right there with you brother. I have always been outspoken, sometimes to my disadvantage. :doh:

I'm also rather hard to upset. I've been working on becoming Zen for some time now and it's really paid off a few times.

I have found that remaining calm, while a would-be manipulator is trying hard to get me upset, really drives them nuts.

MrMackc

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Why not have cached on your phone a page like wikipedia's "historical trekking" or if you have a web site/blog/etc. Or print it out so if Mr./Ms. Warden asks if your hunting you can tell them you are trekking and show them the info.
It seems contrary to traditional principles for a hunter using an 1800s type of firearm and gear to be carrying a cell phone and and riding a gas powered 4 wheeler buggy, but whatever flops your mop!...

eugenenine

36 Cal.
Reaction score
It seems contrary to traditional principles for a hunter using an 1800s type of firearm and gear to be carrying a cell phone and and riding a gas powered 4 wheeler buggy, but whatever flops your mop!...
I didn't say anything about gas powered, and thats why I said you could print out something on paper.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Why is a seatbelt law not compatible with your constitution?
It actually IS, it's just some people in our population don't like seat-belt laws. ;)

The problem with "it's not Constitutionally compatible" claim is that driving in ALL of our fifty states is NOT a right. It's a privilege, and can be suspended or revoked, AND you MUST pass a test as well as pay a fee to exercise that privilege. We are not supposed to have requirements for exercising rights other than adulthood, which is why having to pass some sort of "class" to buy a handgun is being challenged in our courts right now.

LD

Last edited by a moderator:

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I do use a car to get to the trailhead. After I get out I try to live the past. I can’t of course I’m still a twentyfirst century man.
Water is the source of all sorts of nasties. One can and I have drank from streams and creeks safely, but it’s a crap shoot( no pun intended) and lots of ol’ timers died of dysentery.
I have water pills in my kit. They are not HC. But I’m ok with that.
I’m 63 and my wife gets nervous about me in the tall timber, so she likes me to call or text.
When I can call I do, and so I have a cell phone in my kit and a battery to charge with.
I keep modern first aid and insect repellent.
I don’t want to get sick from some tick or ‘skeeter born desease. It’s HC to get malaria or tick fever. Id
In my fire kit I have a Bic lighter. I change them out and keep a fresh one. I’ve not used it in the woods since the 1970s but it’s there just in case.
I carry more variety of food, and most of the time can’t hunt as it’s not in season My food is hc but most people didn’t keep the variety I do for a night or two. HC they would never pass up a deer, even if they used it for just a couple of meals.
Much of the time any shelter would be built from local materials. Not a tent a fellow carried. This is simple, but as primitive as is it’s more complex then what an ol boy would bother with in 1770-1870
72B3414F-B0A2-4917-B3AF-1BAB1FCE197C.jpeg

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
That's pretty wild you are out there sleeping on a blanket under a lean-to.

I have a friend in his 50's that bikes for 100 miles, sleeps outside. Does this pretty often.

Dale Lilly

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I walked into our elk camp once to find a young C.O. sitting in his truck waiting. CO gets out as I am firing up the coffee percolator and asks for my hunting license. To which I answered “what do I need a hunting license for?” His response, “well you are camped out here in hunting season, carrying a rifle, wearing orange, you need a license”. My response, “I love camping and a rifle is a tool in the bush, I wear orange because its hunting season. Don’t wanna get shot you know. Who says I’m hunting?” I then tell him that I don’t need a license to hunt anyway, I need a license to kill. Upon killing I’d better have the required license instantly. He asks how I figured that? I replied with a simple question, “whats the definition of hunting?” He provided the simple definition exactly as defined within our regs at the time. “Hunting; the pursuit of, capture, kill, maim, lying in wait for, harassing, injuring, etc of wildlife”. Then I asked if photographers required a hunting license, as they pursue, lie in wait for, pursue wildlife? Also, can they only do this in season? His response, “no, they are not gonna kill it” “Ah ha! So no license required until the kill!”
He looked frustrated by this time and the coffee was done, so when he asked again, “you got a license or not?” I replied “yes, you want some coffee?”
In short, we enjoyed a coffee while looking my license over. I advised in the future to ask first how the hunting is going before asking for the license. Funniest thing was that his boss was an acquaintance of mine, who roared with laughter when I told him what I’d done.
The following year, the definition of hunting was removed from the regulations.
Walk
Success always feels good. :thumb: Polecat

Dale Lilly

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
What does anger have to do with it? You think I'm angry? Annoyed would be more like it, you clearly think you know what is better for me, than I do. A nation of free thinking individuals is my vision for the future, and that comes with pluses and minuses. Blindly following others is for the dim.
So... I choose to drive on the left side of the road... it's smoother and I am closer to the pretty growth along side. I love to be a free thinker. You just need to allow me the freedom to do that. Polecat