Treating Leather garments...

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Phil Coffins

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Camp Dry has a very strong smell that to me lasts a long time. If this leggings are made of buck skin I wouldn’t treat them at all. The buckskins in my avatar were made by me. The key to not getting baggy buckskins is to dampen the hides then stretch them on a frame till dry then cut and sew them up.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks too all for the responses ..

These legging were bought at Friendship from a Vendor.

I was told they were made from deer skin, but commercially tanned.
They are soft and a little stretchy. I’m still undecided what I’m going to do too them if anything at all other than treat them with Permethrin.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Smo,

On to permethrin now. I put that on everything...wool,linen,leather,cotton, and etc...it is safe for waterproof fabric like goretex and others. I only use sawyer’s permethrin, no smell when dry👍. Using it for years with no issues at all to items and ME( that i know of 😝) The biggest thing is to let it dry after spraying. Once dry it bonds tight and is safe to handle. Spray on a calm day and ware dum clothing and face mask. Sawyer’s contains .5% permethrin and the other 99.5% is the carrier. At .5% if any spray gets on skin, you could feel a burning/itching/redness but in 15ish min you skin will break it down and render it inert. Hence why scabie cream is 5% so it can absorb into the skin to kill them suckers. Deet on the other hand, your skin will absorb it like a sponge which make permethrin way way safer. Oh and you don’t need to soak the items either when spraying. You can as it will allow the permethrin to last longer. Sun light, air, and washing machine is what breaks it down. Hand washing and storing in a dark/air tight bag will allow it to last longer. If you spray a shirt and leave it outside in about 40ish days the permethrin will be gone. Hope this help ya.

Mine might be a bit of an overkill....

AFE6AEBE-683F-4674-A127-36E59A457020.jpeg

But, it will kill!

Latest posts