Treating Leather garments...

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought a set of leggings at Friendship last Fall, they are soft leather around 2-3 oz .
I’m not sure of the tanning process.

I wanted too ask before I wear them , should I treat them with something?

I’m not really concerned if it is HC/PC , I just wanted too hear everyone’s thoughts...

I’m mainly concerned with them getting wet and heavy.... we don’t need no “saggin’” longhunter...

Thanks

Treestalker

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I would treat them with Pecard's leather dressing, which is great stuff. It would be good to make them water resistant; when camping it seems one always winds up wading through the dew to a place of privacy. Also the leggings help keep the coiling horrors from tagging your legs as easily! Good trekking to you! Geo.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Guys , I was thinking along the lines of spray silicone and then wet them down with Permethrin ....

These were made rough side out , hoping the ticks would stick it that hide , not mine.

So I’m not sure how well mink oil or similar wax type conditioners would work.

I thought about using bees wax and heat....
But figured I’d end up with a swarm of bees on me!

The silicone ,”Camp Dry “ once applied is unseen , as is the Permethrin.

Just interested in various applications.. thanks

Juice Jaws

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pair of leather pants that I have been wearing for over 30 years( yes I still fit into them) and all I have ever done to them is nothing. But they do have 30 years of grease, smoke, spill booze and beer, some blood, plus good old mother earth ground into them. Showing a little rot at the bottoms but other than that they will out last me.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks JJ,
That's the second "Let em' acquire a natural patina" vote I've gotten.

I'm thinking that's the route I'm going... may still shoot em' with Permethrin as I hate em' blood sucking ticks...

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Chippewa boot company used liquid silicone soaked leather and stated that was all you were supposed to put on them.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply’s.

The Camp Dry for tent canvas says it’s safe for leather as well.

I still haven’t decided what if I’ll use it or not.

Realwarrior

Pilgrim
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I put mink oil on mine. A couple of sets I put brown show polish rubbed in well. It made them darker and worked good to shed water but it was a heck of a lot of work. Ever since good mink oil and no problems. I put it on, heat it up (don't scorch it), & rub it in.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply RW.

How long have you been treating them like this? Any bad results?

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Guys , I was thinking along the lines of spray silicone and then wet them down with Permethrin ....
These were made rough side out , hoping the ticks would stick it that hide , not mine.
So I’m not sure how well mink oil or similar wax type conditioners would work.
I thought about using bees wax and heat....
But figured I’d end up with a swarm of bees on me!
The silicone ,”Camp Dry “ once applied is unseen , as is the Permethrin.
Just interested in various applications.. thanks
Have you treated leather with Permethrin in the past? Does it leave the leather flexible?
I think the problem that you have is that the leather, especially rough side out, will absorb the Permethrin, and then that stuff is against your skin. If you apply a mink oil or any other product for water resistance first, to keep the stuff from reaching the inner surface of the leather, will that not stop the Permethrin from adhering to the leather?

A leather treatment to keep the leather supple and avoid cracking is a good idea. Whether you use something to provide water repellent is up to you. Leather so treated will on warm days, not breathe well. ;)

Leather leggings are a joy in terrain where there are prickly vines such as wild rose or blackberry, etc. and they are thick. Otherwise, wool leggings do a good job in all but the thorniest situations.

LD

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Dave.

Yes I have used Permethrin on leather before, But only in the past year....
I've heard that it would break down the fibers, But I haven't experienced that yet.

So far I haven't had any issues with it drying out or cracking the leather,it's still as soft as the day I applied it..

I still have done anything ,treatment wise to the leggings as of yet..

However, I do plan on spraying them with Permethrin before turkey season...

If I do apply any water treatment, it will only be on the lower portion of the leggings as I believe leather getting wet and then drying over and over will be detrimental to the leather as well.

I've been told smoke will help waterproof leather as well, but I'm not certain that works on leather other than brain tanned..

Thanks again for your reply, I really appreciate any info anyone cares to contribute.

Realwarrior

Pilgrim
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply RW.

How long have you been treating them like this? Any bad results?
No negative affects either way, but the mink oil is the more traditional and easier to work in. Use good mink oil like you get from a GOOD leather supplier or Track of the Wolf. Trust me, if you're time is worth money, don't use the shoe polish.... Brains over brawn... Lol

Realwarrior

Pilgrim
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Have you treated leather with Permethrin in the past? Does it leave the leather flexible?
I think the problem that you have is that the leather, especially rough side out, will absorb the Permethrin, and then that stuff is against your skin. If you apply a mink oil or any other product for water resistance first, to keep the stuff from reaching the inner surface of the leather, will that not stop the Permethrin from adhering to the leather?

A leather treatment to keep the leather supple and avoid cracking is a good idea. Whether you use something to provide water repellent is up to you. Leather so treated will on warm days, not breathe well. ;)

Leather leggings are a joy in terrain where there are prickly vines such as wild rose or blackberry, etc. and they are thick. Otherwise, wool leggings do a good job in all but the thorniest situations.

LD
I've treated the leather with Permetherin. The only adverse effects was if you get it to close it leaves a spot like a stain. Once it's wet it will soften the stain. The rest once dry is not noticable

Group Builder