• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trdd cash snail cappers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wb78963

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Is it me or does it take a lot of fitting to get a TC snail capper working properly? After a lot of filing it works on one Pietta Marshal but still is problematic on the other with sequential serial numbers. It work properly on #18, but not on #17 the last two numbers of the serial number. It does not work at all on a Pietta Capt. Schaeffer 1851 Navy.
Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Respectfully Submitted
Bunk

FishDFly I don't think we are talking abut the same thing. The oval shaped Tedd Cash capper is made for rifles and will not work on revolvers.
The "Snail" capper is shaped like a coma and is made for revolvers except Remington hand guns that have a very small nipple recess.
The snail type holds a can of caps and is easy to load. In my inventory are a couple of straight line cappers that work just fine but are a pain to fill so I don't use them.
Personally I DO NOT use my thumb to seat caps PERIOD. If a sensitive cap detonates the hot high pressure gas that comes back through the nipple will remove the end of the thumb. This sis happen to a man whose alias is "Cuts Crooked" and it was not a pretty sight.
It gives me chills to watch "experts" seating caps by hand but that is a subject for another day.
I have three other Navy Colts (Pietta) to work with and adjust the capper.
More to follow
Bunk

They were not designed for revolvers.
I took a look at the Tedd Cash web site. The snail cappers are recommended for pistols and some revolvers. Remington 1858 with the deep recess for the nipples prevent the snail capper from working.

https://www.tdcmfg.com/product-page/universal-capper
The catalog entry recommends the straight line capper for those revolvers that the snail capper doesn't fit.

Revolvers, I only shoot Remington's. I do not have any open top revolvers at this point, but do want a 1860.

I use the straight line capper, like the new modified one that Tedd Cash has out now. Will admit my wife fills both the oval and straight line cappers for me during cease fires.

Mike Belliveau - Duelist1954 on YouTube has 108 tutorials on Cap and Ball pistols. In one of them I learned how to enlarge the area around the nipple on a Remington New Model Army. My trusty Dremel and an hour of work later I had recesses that would allow my Snail shaped cap dispenser to work. It can be done.

" My trusty Dremel and an hour of work later I had recesses that would allow my Snail shaped cap dispenser to work. It can be done."

Would your modification be legal in "As Issue" matches?

I know modifying the front sight is verboten along with checkering the grips and removing the finish from them..

I use the Cash snail capper for all my revolvers except the Remingtons. They work fine on the Colt open tops, ROAs and Rogers and Spencer. I have a German silver one for #10s and a brass one for #11s.

For the Remingtons I place the caps by hand and snug them up with a piece of small dowel. I take my time, use caution and so far so good.

Jeff

"For the Remingtons I place the caps by hand and snug them up with a piece of small dowel. I take my time, use caution and so far so good."

Same here.

Just finished shooting the Schaeffer 1851 Navy and after a little judicious filing on the capper now it works, at least on four Navy frame gunz so far.
Tomorrow project is a pair of Pietta 1851 London Navy revolvers.
Technically it would e possible to modify the frame to allow the capper to work, but an old gunsmith (which I am NOT) said if you want to muck up a part muck up the cheapest part. Compare a $30 capper/ $400 gun? Gee that is a choice isn't it?
That brass rod thingy that came with a snubby makes a good sturdy cap seating tool so if a cap does go off you will not have to remove splinters from your hand prior to changing your shorts.
Respectfully Submitted,
Bunk

Latest posts

Back