• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trappers Percussion?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpjson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked this up some time back and took it to my gunsmith to ensure it is workable. Turns out it did have an old ball stuck. Anyhow, he got it out and gave me his opinion as to the probable history of the rifle. He thought it was probably built in the St. Lewis area during the later trapper period-1830-1845. He was really impressed with the trigger guard.

I thought I might run it past the folks on the forum here, who seem to have unlimited knowledge. So any ideas as to age or history?

2r1pz.jpg
[/img]
rbewp.jpg
[/img]
2mfhvma.jpg
[/img]
2urxhc0.jpg
[/img]
2ywg29v.jpg
[/img]
6qisxy.jpg
[/img]
rbe4wp.jpg
[/img]

Just a quick question, is the trigger made out of brass? If so, I would say your rifle came out of New York State. Several NY gunsmiths used brass for their triggers. I have not found this in any other area. I would date it just before the Civil War around the "Gold Rush" era.

Why did the builders turn to the Back Action lock when thay did ? I kind of like them but a lot of them i have seen where kinda mmessed up at the rear lock screw.

You will get many opinions as to why some built with them.

The one that makes sense to me was their use in doubles that had wide across the flats barrels and twin breeches.

This made for a pretty tight space with a (typical) lock. The back action, while weakening the wrist (by removing wood - but some claim the lock plate added strength ???) would get the "guts" back away from the breech area which would have little room.

Like anything else, if something is available guys will find a use for it.

About all I can add is that a back action lock is VERY fast ignition! It pushes the hammer forward where the standard spring lock works on a pulling action.

Rifles of this style were pretty familiar across much of the country. It certainly could be from the Midwest....but I would not rule out New England as has already been stated...particularly Vermont, NH, and Maine. These rifles and gunsmiths for that matter...did travel a lot during this time period....which by appearances is probably 1840-1870.

Measures at about .42 The inlays on the stock around the wedge show the age. They are loose and partially missing.

It was actually the inlay (partly, combined with the short forearm) that led to my impression that it was a New England rifle.

It looks familiar to stuff I have seen that came out of New York, maybe Connecticut or Vermont - just can't put my finger on the exact rifle(s) I'm thinking of..

I think Captjoel is correct, it's a NY rifle, noting the brass trigger, and general architecture. Also, I think the trigger-guard style is more common to south-east NY.

What is up with the toe plate...seems to be overly "secured"...with all those screws???

You got me wondering, so I removed them to see if there is something there that would require those screws. But nothing. Does anyone have an idea why there would be so many screws holding on such a small plate?

wpjson said:
Measures at about .42 The inlays on the stock around the wedge show the age. They are loose and partially missing.

Yes, and they're consistent with inlay on the stock. I've never seen that many deer inlays and now I see the similarity.

A nice rifle in a good caliber.

wpjson said:
You got me wondering, so I removed them to see if there is something there that would require those screws. But nothing. Does anyone have an idea why there would be so many screws holding on such a small plate?

I'll give you a SWAG on that one.

If you note where the two larger screws are that is about where a 3rd piercing would go in that plate. Perhaps the maker drilled the two holes to do the "next rectangle pierce", got lazy, said screw it and put in a couple of screws instead.

Having sat on many occasions tediously working with a jeweler's saw, having broke a few blades in the process, I have "slightly modified" my original pattern :)

I have a similar New York Target rifle with the same deer inlay. Have you looked at the underside of the Barrel for stamps. That is how I finally ran down the story of my rifle.

Terry%20Tyler%20Collection%20163_zpsekyczzws.jpg

Your rifle certainly could be from NY...or elsewhere...it is difficult to be certain without a signature. For example...if you look at the picture above...the rifle in the back has very similar attributes to yours. Sorry...for some reason I don't have pics of the other side...but it is a back action lock. This rifle was made by Henry M Whitman from Vermont. The rifle below with the same type trigger guard was made by A. Selden who moved from Vermont to Whitehall, NY.

Back