• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trapper Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric N.

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Tradtions Trapper cap lock.What are you using for loads? Target and hunting. Thanks!!

Well, I dont hunt with it so thats mute point.
I do shoot alot of paper for score and trail walks.
I first shot 30 gr of 3f and had real dirty barrel and a lot of unburned powder (powder burning way in front of the barrel, notice the fire forward sometime)
Milked it back to 23-25 grains and that helped.
THEN a friend was talking to me and what he hadto say made a lot of sense.....
he said to try 15 gr. so I did. have never looked back, get tight groups out to 45 yards, can turn in 47, 48 , 49 score targets with the occasional X!
Check out the fast twist rate on your barrel. 1 in 20 is pretty fast.
I shoot home cast 490s, home cut .014-.015 patches and lube this one with olive oil.

your milage may vary, but I will betit comes real close!

Brett

Brett's right about lighter loads working well in the Trapper. I generally shoot 20-25 in mine, but it's more accurate at 15. The guns are surprisingly accurate! Very good value. :)

For hunting, I think I'd go with Swiss powder at near max. Use a felt wad and you won't blow the patch as easily, and it helps the powder burn more efficiently. I've tried that and had acceptable hunting accuracy with mine, though I haven't done any hunting with it.

50 and its a caplock.
I tend to do backflips pert near every time I shoot for score.....
...although I recently picked up a wm parker in 50/cap and it shoots even better! (same load), might be cause its "more broke in"...dont know.
both of these "import" guns shoot beyond my expectations!

Brett

I was amazed at the accuracy of the Trapper also. I just bought the kit because it was purdy and it looked like it would be a nice match for the Investarms Hawken I have. Shooting it turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. The trigger is great too.

Back