• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Transfering images to a horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an extremely nice, antler tipped horn that I would like to scrimshaw. I have the images I want on it but my drawing / artistic talents leave a lot to be desired. Anyone have any recommendations for semi-fool proof methods to transfer images onto a horn?

It's not the easiest thing to do but you can use carbon paper to transfer your image.

Ron

Same as Hawkthrower. I, like you, am not that artistic. I could make bear and wolf tracks but not a very good deer or moose heads. Found some pictures I liked and copied using carbon paper. The hardest thing will be finding the carbon paper. Good Luck.

I have a question because I never tried it myself: could you print out and then tape a design to a horn, and then come back and trace over the lines in the print out with an x-acto knife as a guide? thank you

are you supposed to be original even when trying to emulate an older horn? thank you

I just did this with a wood carving project for lettering. Problem was I couldn't see underneath so the outline got a little flubbed, not too bad though. I'll try carbon paper next time

Yes, you can transfer a copy of horn images onto a horn. There are collections of art which were traced from originals onto paper. The paper was cut and placed onto the horns before tracing.

The reverse is not that difficult.

(There are people who prefer to copy originals - just NEVER present them as originals and make your mark and date clear enough that this will never be an issue.)

But you need to plan for the cuts (possibly even into the image) which will be needed to get the paper to fit the curves of the horn. You may be able to get a general image onto the horn, but you will still need to adapt to some degree.

No free ride.

Make sure the artwork is original, or clip art.
Scan the image to your computer.
Shrink it to fit the horn as needed.
Print it onto transparent label material (Avery).
Stick it to the horn and scrim over the image.
Remove the label and use the original to guide you to the fine details.
Ink it.

Ames said:
Make sure the artwork is original, or clip art.

As I stated earlier: "There are people who prefer to copy originals - just NEVER present them as originals and make your mark and date clear enough that this will never be an issue."

"Originals" is an interesting term here. I used it to indicate horns and their etched images original to the flintlock era and you seem to intend it to be images original to now.

Some of us make very close copies of horns which are correct to the flintlock era. No apology for that choice as we view this as a valid method of honoring the history and facilitating reenactments. Our interest is only in correct horns.

As to methods, I have taped copies of images onto a horn with carbon paper. These need cuts to get the image to lay properly onto the horn. Then tracing on the image transfers the image to the horn through the carbon paper. A bit of hairspray holds the image firmly to the horn for minor handling.

CS

for whatever it's worth, here's my two cents worth: (one guy's advice: free and no doubt well worth the cost)

take the horn surface to the level you want (scraped, sanded to 400, 600 or whatever grit surface you like) ... then put a light spray of adhesive on it and let it dry completely.

now the 'hard' part ... this involves a #2 lead pencil (sharper is better) and the application of patience. the spray will give you enough 'tooth' so that you can easily sketch on the horn. a rubber eraser may also be required ... repeat and correct as necessary ... if you do it this way, you will never have a horn which looks as though you used el- cheap- o 'clip art.' it will, instead, be a design of your own hand: undeniably your own work. to those who would say, well he copied thus-and-such, I would answer NO - he was inspired by thus-and-such, or he wanted the horn to look like thus-and-such.

when you're happy with the result, respray the horn with the magic rattle can and - -viola! your design will stay put, and will not smudge when you handle the horn as you do the scrim.

when you're ready to apply the ink, just go over the horn with some 0000 steel wool or superfine wet/dry sandpaper to remove the spray.

this is not, I will the first to admit, very HC/PC. it does, however, work very well for me.

good luck with your project and, as always, Make Good Smoke!

"Originals" is an interesting term here. I used it to indicate horns and their etched images original to the flintlock era and you seem to intend it to be images original to now.

What I meant to imply was draw it yourself. Inspired by is great. Looks like is cool too. Trace and copy a known artists work is not cool. Or legal to do.
We are on the same page, different words.

"Originals" is an interesting term here.

That is a subject suitable for a whole lot of debate. :shocked2:
What is an 'original'. Is a TC Hawken made in 1970 an 'original'. Or a one of built by an individual in 1950. Or a custom bult last week an 'original'. Or must it have been made in the 16th or 17th century?

What I was trying to say before this thread took an interesting left turn about what an original is.
We all know what a bison looks like. You can admire a picture of one on a bag, or a horn or magazine, whatever. You can stare at that picture and copy it freehand all you want. More power to you.
But when you trace it and put an exact copy on your horn without permission from the photographer that took the original shot you are looking at, it's plagiarism. Futz with it freehand as best you can all day long and you are fine. Stand next to the guy and take a shot of the same subject and trace your own pic...you are fine. He does not own the animal, just his own image of it. That's what I meant by use an original....of your own.
Sorry. Sore subject. My younger brother was a professional book illustrator with publishing's at some Random House, he said.
I, on the other hand, have to go plow under cover crops ahead of this years onion plantings. Perhaps I should sketch an onion.
No. Wait. I'll get him to do it for me. If he would only sign me the right to copy it......... :surrender:

My understanding is that sailors used to take pictures from papers etc. and fix them on the tooth or horn they were scrimshawing. Then they would use a knife point or pin to scratch or prick through the outlines of the image they wanted. Then, they would remove the paper and complete the carving.

That's the way I heard it...but I wasn't there!

Richard/Grumpa

Grumpa said:
My understanding is that sailors used to take pictures from papers etc. and fix them on the tooth or horn they were scrimshawing. Then they would use a knife point or pin to scratch or prick through the outlines of the image they wanted. Then, they would remove the paper and complete the carving.

That's the way I heard it...but I wasn't there!

Richard/Grumpa

Richard, That's a new one on me?? That's very interesting! Can you give us some published or researched information/documentation on that?

Sorry but it almost sounds like someone came up with that to justify themselves doing it.

Rick

Latest posts

Back