• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trail Guns Armory Kodiak Percussion Double Rifle by Pedersoli - 12ga/.50cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@dday1950 , you've made a nice buy on that double-barrel rifle...Congrats! I'm partial to a percussion gun, so it did catch my eye.....looks sharp.

Re. the 1-lb lead bar in the stock, I'd lean toward the questioning which @Britsmoothy posed that it is a weight thing more than recoil control. If removed, you'd end up with a more barrel-heavy gun which could shoot better offhand.

It would be interesting after you start working the gun to learn how well the barrels come together, what cross over is, how much, at what distance, etc. I had an unmentionable SxS with a wide horizontal cross over problem. At least with a black powder double rifle, working up a strong enough powder load might help to adjust the accuracy. Anyway, much less than 2 cents. Enjoy your rifle! ~wiksmo

I did not know about the lead in the stock until someone here mentioned it in the last year or so. I checked mine and it had the lead in it.

Their thought as that it was put there to add weight to reduce recoil. To me it is plenty heavy.

Very nice combo gun you have there. I have a 50x50cal Kodiak double rifle that was shipped to Trail Guns Armory in 1976. Its a 48 twist according to Pedersoli. The only thing I changed was to add a tang sight which helps a lot. I never knew about the possibility of lead in the stock. I think I'll have a look, this thing is heavy. I shoot only .490 round balls with a 70gr. 2FF load and am very pleased with accuracy.

Don
Yours looks nice too. I was drawn to mine by the browned barrels. I love that look

If the lead in the stock was the right alloy/pure, would be a handy way of carrying around spare lead to cast your own balls from if you needed to.

I like the name you picked!
I initially picked it as a SASS alias back in the late 90s. Cap'n Ball was the gun shop owner in the Rick O'Shay comic strip. Then I started the website Cap'n Ball's Black Powder Info Page around 2000. It is still going although the emphasis changed from SASS to rendezvous early on.

The shotguns don't have the lead and they don't kick very much.
I'm a little puzzled why they did this. Is it more to do with balancing the thing?
Bingo. It's to counterbalance the longer thicker barrels.
The shotgun versions are a lot lighter because the barrel walls are thinner - and shorter.
The trail gun Armory guns all have longer barrels than the newer models. IIRC about 4" longer -
There are several recoil system aftermarket products that can be used to help balance and tame high recoil.
Myself - I am a recoil junkie and enjoy a big boomer with an attitude...

Bingo. It's to counterbalance the longer thicker barrels.
The shotgun versions are a lot lighter because the barrel walls are thinner - and shorter.
The trail gun Armory guns all have longer barrels than the newer models. IIRC about 4" longer -
There are several recoil system aftermarket products that can be used to help balance and tame high recoil.
Myself - I am a recoil junkie and enjoy a big boomer with an attitude...
Me too. I’m in this sport for kicks...

Back