• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trail Guns Armory Kodiak Percussion Double Rifle by Pedersoli - 12ga/.50cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dday1950

32 Cal
Reaction score
So on a whim and out of fascination I placed a bid on Gunbroker for this Trail Guns Armory Kodiak combination percussion double rifle by Pedersoli in 12ga/.50cal at the last minute and damn if I wasn't the high bidder at $640. I can tell it's a earlier model with browned barrels and the only numbers on it are next to the Pedersoli name and emblem on the side of the barrels a #117 and there's also a #36 between the barrels on the underside along with a number of proof stamps. The top of the barrels has all of the Trail Guns Armory marks plus the Kodiak 50/12ga. It was dirty but the barrels clean out nice and shiny and over all I'd say in good/very good condition. It came with a pair of the earlier Mag-spark for small rifle primers which I'm thinking of changing out. I have two other Pedersoli guns, a 10ga sxs and a 20ga Howdah and enjoy them both. So, the thing is, I can find little to no info on this combination rifle/shotgun on line. I have not contacted Pedersoli yet and probably will sometime soon. Does anyone else have any info, experience or thoughts regarding this gun. Personally I just think its a neat gun having owned an older combination Savage OU 22/20ga given to me as a kid (which I still have). I'd appreciate any info anyone has. Thank you!

Attachments

• Combo1.jpg
    Combo1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 203
  • combo2.jpg
    combo2.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 182
  • combo3.jpg
    combo3.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
tell me more about the rifle and dont change those nipples. you will love them.

Thank you Ronnman for the info. I finally received a reply from Pedersoli. They sent me similar info plus an exploded diagram of the Kodiak Express and Combo. They also tell me that this old Kodiak Combo was shipped to Trail Guns Armory in 1976. I'm now even more impressed by the guns condition after 44 years. These are some more pics that I sent to Pedersoli to help find it's history

Attachments

• ped2.jpg
    ped2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Ped6.jpg
    Ped6.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 126
  • ped7.jpg
    ped7.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 118
  • ped8.jpg
    ped8.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 129
I use to live about 10 minutes from Trail Guns Armory. It was a great place to go and look around. The best part was Paul would let you go through the guns to select the one you wanted., my Kodiak and Tryon have above average wood.

Last edited:
The current Kodiak doubles can be special ordered with a shotgun barrel, so I'm assuming the Trail Guns Armory had it special made for them. I have never seen the "combo" listed for sale as a regular over the counter offering. I saw your "combo" listed some months ago with a much higher starting bid. So high that I didn't even give it any consideration. You made a good bargain to say the least. I should have kept paying attention.

If you look at the Dixie catalog they Pedersoli Combination Rifle/Shotgun listed for sale, .50 X 12 gauge and .58 X 12 gauge at $ 1,350 each.

One other feature I forgot to mention about this gun. At one point when I set it down I heard a "clunk" sound. Upon investigating it I removed the butt plate and found a 3/4 hole drilled into the stock about 7" deep with about a 6" lead slug and a spring, in what appears to be some form of recoil dampener. Pedersoli's exploded diagram (which I'm sure is for more recent guns) doesn't show this item. It's so cleanly drilled and done and looks to be factory installed. There are some other screw holes of maybe someone possibly tried to put another recoil pad on but they don't align very well for that, anyway when I got it, the stock plate as you can see from the photo was still installed. Any more thoughts?

Attachments

• ped9.jpg
    ped9.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 92
  • ped10.jpg
    ped10.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 100
The .50 X .50 tips the scale at 11.25 lbs., but it has 1 lb. lead in the stock under the butt plate that can be removed. It is a chore to get it out.

"Upon investigating it I removed the butt plate and found a 3/4 hole drilled into the stock about 7" deep with about a 6" lead slug and a spring, in what appears to be some form of recoil dampener."

Someone may have shortened the lead weight and put the spring in there as a spacer.

The lead slug doesn't show any sign of being cut. Looks like it was cast like that

See the parts breakdown below for the Kodak - Kombo. Item 55 is shown and listed as simply “Lead”.
Ron

C8E1941A-B673-4EA3-A725-24DBBBC5271E.jpegBB5B20D6-75C2-49A2-AEDB-02CEA9CCB821.jpeg

You ever try to holdup a magnifying glass to a computer screen to read what is on the screen? Tough.

Shows the lead bar and the number on the chart, but not the spring.

Very nice combo gun you have there. I have a 50x50cal Kodiak double rifle that was shipped to Trail Guns Armory in 1976. Its a 48 twist according to Pedersoli. The only thing I changed was to add a tang sight which helps a lot. I never knew about the possibility of lead in the stock. I think I'll have a look, this thing is heavy. I shoot only .490 round balls with a 70gr. 2FF load and am very pleased with accuracy.

Don

Attachments

• 50x50 Kodiak.jpg
    50x50 Kodiak.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Kodiak sight.jpg
    Kodiak sight.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 108
I thought about getting mine out to lighten up the rifle. The thing is wedged in there very tight. Only way I could see was to screw something into the lead and then try to pull it out.

I wass not in the mood at the time so it is still there.

The sling is nice, though I am going to find a wider one to use with the weight of the rifle.

You ever try to holdup a magnifying glass to a computer screen to read what is on the screen? Tough.

Shows the lead bar and the number on the chart, but not the spring.
That's one of them "you know you're getting old when..." Things

Back