• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trail-cam pictures.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walked out to one of my cameras today and it is covered in what I think is baby box elder bugs. BACD1B3E-1872-4417-92A8-0ED1E5217473.jpeg

Wish I had kept the photos sent to me by my younger Son. A few years ago he owned a house in NE Pa. about 500 yards from a state parcel. As he didn't live there full time he put in a camera system he could monitor with his cell. He sent me pictures of all kinds of critters. When I saw the Large black bear I gave him my 12 ga. pump and some slugs as he would walk my 5 year old granddaughter in the woods carrying just a 9mm.

Wish I had kept the photos sent to me by my younger Son. A few years ago he owned a house in NE Pa. about 500 yards from a state parcel. As he didn't live there full time he put in a camera system he could monitor with his cell. He sent me pictures of all kinds of critters. When I saw the Large black bear I gave him my 12 ga. pump and some slugs as he would walk my 5 year old granddaughter in the woods carrying just a 9mm.
Can't argue with a good pump and slugs.
It would a mid weight revolver for me 357/180gn or 44m.

Just dreaming again sorry .

👍

Brit, I would perfer a good riot gun and slugs in the event of a bear attack, I am a decent shot with a hand gun, but in a tense situation for me anyway a riot gun takes the number 1 slot. Not only that if all else fails the long gun would take a superior spot as a club verses a side arm.

I rarely put my trail camera up where I hunt, I prefer to be surprised, I do use it around the house to pinpoint the varmints that make my harvests iffy.

Example; I have the best muscadine crop I have had in years, then the fruit started disappearing just before it was ripe enough to pick, I suspected coons. To confirm this I put out my trail camera, I have plenty of dog proof coon traps.

Well, I caught the varmints on camera that were raiding my muscadines, not what I expected.
muscadine deer.JPG

So, many years ago I shot a buck with very distinct black markings, black line down its back, prominent black marks down its muzzle and up and across its brow line. I rushed the shot and just nicked him. I saw him twice more that season, he would come to the fork in the trail coming out of a small hollow, look toward that treestamd location and if I wad there, calmly walk the other way. Never saw him again after that.

I have a camera just down the hill from that spot.

20210831_205944.jpg20210831_210037.jpg20210831_210119.jpg20210831_210137.jpg
Look at this youngster's markings....

20210831_210240.jpg20210831_210303.jpg
The doe seems obvious,,,, what about the bear?

How about now?
08-25 Location 9 DSCF0066.JPG
They both circled around. I also have the deer walking off the right side of the frame, then coming back quickly, I think the bear circled clockwise and around behind the camera.
The videos won't seem to transfer but the bear comes and investigates the camera the next night.

Maybe 500 yards further down the hill, different bear,
20210831_220101.jpg20210831_220138.jpg
He strolls right over a sapling ahead of him like it isn't even there, lol. On video he looks like a big lumbering drunk.

Has the markings of an Appaloosa horse in a way, just on the wrong end.
Pretty sure he's molting, or whatever it's called when they change from Sumner red to winter grey. I have picks of one in the same area a few weeks before whose whole body is like this guy's neck. I thought it was a piebald at 1st.

Noticed the bear right off, guess cause there is very little black in the woods.

Molting must be a northern thing, does not happen in Texas.

Must be nice to have bears to watch.

Opening day of archery deer season this morning. Sat above this cam that shows a visitor came by yesterday morning,,,,

DSCF0041 (1).JPGDSCF0042.JPG

Squirrels seemed to be making an extra ruckus barking and making that long squeal they make, more than usual.
Then I heard one that really didn't sound right, like it was below me and moving while making a cutting noise,,,,

20210915_075711.jpg20210915_075609.jpg
Trail cam caught it too,
20210915_131807.jpg20210915_131717.jpg20210915_131247.jpg
I guess I'd squawk too if bob' was carrying me off for breakfast.

Opening day of archery deer season this morning. Sat above this cam that shows a visitor came by yesterday morning,,,,

View attachment 94284View attachment 94285

Squirrels seemed to be making an extra ruckus barking and making that long squeal they make, more than usual.
Then I heard one that really didn't sound right, like it was below me and moving while making a cutting noise,,,,

View attachment 94286View attachment 94287
Trail cam caught it too,
View attachment 94288View attachment 94289View attachment 94290
I guess I'd squawk too if bob' was carrying me off for breakfast.
Not just squawk, squit too 😄

Back