• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions vest pocket derringer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a neat little gun. I have the older cva model. I think i use .310. Definitely no patch. Pick yourself up a quarter inch oak dowl to load it with. Im not even convinced the ramrod on mine has a true purpose beyond cleaning. Its too short to load; but i can clean with it. If you have a narrow enough ball starter, then that is perfect for loading.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT load too much powder. You'll warp the hinge. And then it wont lock up tight anymore. You'll feel that hinge rocking from the recoil if you go even a few grains past the maximum load. Try not to over do it, or else you'll have a peening job ahead of you, and that may or may not fix it if its bent too bad.

It carries in your pocket like a pocket knife. You never notice it, but its always there when you need it, but thats also what makes it dangerous. Technically, you should not set it at halfcock and put it in your pocket and forget about it. If you start doing work, lifting, getting in and out of vehicles, you risk bumping it and shearing off the halfcock notch and shooting yourself in the leg. But its your leg, and you do what you want with it. Lol. I do carry mine occasionally.

I used a .30 airgun pellet with a patch. no problems. The gun is mostly for the fun and good looks. It’s a piece of history. i lost mine and am desperately looking to purchase another. Top price offered if anyone out there is wiling to sell theirs

New here and to black powder weaponry.
loving derringers, have several kinds and brands and models my rea favorite is my NAA 5 shot...sweet little thing and beautifully made almost jewelry-like. this was so beautiful and clean a design had to have it. wish it had come s a more modern .22 cal conversion but got it more for collecting and "having" it.(gues never grew out of 'boy toy" stage.
Though reading more here and elsewhere, I am getting itchy on trying to fit it out for shooting, but not sure where to start.
got lead balls with it but need percussion caps etc. More confused than persuaded and not wanting to spend loads of money to do it, at this point combined with "my elevator no longer reaching the top floor" it is even more difficult getting started.
Little SIMPLE help appreciated. ;)

.....also where can i find a nice leather holster for this little gun? the ones i got for my other derringers don't seem to want to play nice with it.

Latest posts

Back