• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions vest pocket derringer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I need some help with supplies for this gun. I am buying today the vest pocket derringer by Traditions. I am not sure what size ball to get for it. It is a 31 caliber but I'm not sure if I need a slightly bigger or smaller ball for it and I don't know where to buy that size... I know Hornady sells 32 caliber balls in .310 and .315 size balls but I don't think those will work... Also I don't where to buy a wad or patch for this gun. I found a video online of a guy shooting this and he is the only one but he won't respond to questions. I will post it below for you to be able to get an idea of what I'm kinda looking for. I don't know what primer type or how much gun powder to put in it for each shot... Also can you use the same black powder in all black powder guns? Thanks!

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfb-XjvqLcw

Last edited by a moderator:
Dixie Gun Works sells (or sold) the same type of derringer. They recommended a charge of 5 grains of 3fg powder and a .310 ball. A standard #11 percussion cap gets the party started. I guess the ball was retained in the bore by friction alone (no patch), as the Dixie catalog specs indicate the smooth bore was .310" in diameter.

If you are buying a new piece there should be some manufacturers suggested load information included.

Hope this helps.

Black powder recommendations are fffg for calibers up to .50 and ffg for calibers .50 and up. Many people vary from these recommendations however.

thanks. I looked some after purchasing it today and it I found 5 to 10 grains but it changes if you use real or synthetic black powder.

I do believe I own the same one in the video. I used a patched .315 ball but can't remember the powder charge but do believe it was over the recommended 10 grains of 3f. It may have been as much as 16 or 18 grains. It barely penetrated a 1 inch thick pine board at point blank range.

Don

dang I bought a .310 size ball. Will it not fit? I did buy some patches too so I could lubricate them and use to keep the ball in the barrel. That sucks that it can't penetrate anything but mostly I like collecting them. I will have others that perform better. Is the gun at least reliable?

Yours is a Traditions, mine was made by Shooters Arms from the Phillipines so the bore size may be different. Mine is reliable but I do need to put a grain or two of real black in first with the pyrodex P on top of that. Hammer spring seems to have enough snap to pop caps.

Don

oh okay. Well I still don't know if the stopping power would really be any different though with it being such a small gun and in 32 caliber.

If you are interested in stopping power, I don't think the .31/.32-caliber derringers are going to deliver what you what. While they may be just right for giving the occasional enraged watermellon an Excedrin headache, or handily putting down the odd psychotic shoebox:rotf:, serious BP derringer stopping power begins at about .44-caliber and 20 or so grains of 3fg powder.

Careful, you could put an eye out...just kidding.
While it may not have a lot of stopping power, it can still be quite deadly, otherwise they wouldn't have been as popular as they were. 'Stopping power' is sort of an intangible. As I read once, 'A solid hit with a .22 beats a loud miss with a .45' so I reckon the same applied to a .31.

well I am just trying to figure out what exactly how much I can use. I don't know if I should go as high as 15 grains or something with mine since it's a traditions gun, since I don't know a way to chronograph it and keep it in a safe range etc. So I should just 10 grains to start? How do I know if I can go up? Also I have 2f in stead of the 3f so how differently should I load the gun?

10 grains of powder should be quite adequate in a little .31 derringer.

As some folks mentioned, shooting it at a piece of plywood can result int the ball bouncing back at you but that is mainly due to the small ball and the short barrel.

These two things are really the controlling features of the gun and adding more powder only results in more powder being burned outside the barrel long after the ball has departed.

Fun targets like tin cans, pop cans, clay pigeons and dirt clods won't cause the ball to bounce back and IMO, with a little pistol like that shooting them at 10-15 feet can be a fun challenge. :)

I see that you liked my video ..... :grin: :grin:

The weapon no longer i have it but used to charging with blackpowder switzerland FFFF, as a measure use a cap of the caliber .22LR after as taco used a cotton roll those used by dentists, finally or well you loaded perdigón or a ball of the caliber .32 that was a little forced.

I apologize if you do not answer the questions
At the end i myself manufactures a canon to shoot .22LR and quite well

Photos..

Vest1.jpg
[/img]

Vest2.jpg
[/img]

Vest3.jpg
[/img]

I need some help with supplies for this gun. I am buying today the vest pocket derringer by Traditions. I am not sure what size ball to get for it. It is a 31 caliber but I'm not sure if I need a slightly bigger or smaller ball for it and I don't know where to buy that size... I know Hornady sells 32 caliber balls in .310 and .315 size balls but I don't think those will work... Also I don't where to buy a wad or patch for this gun. I found a video online of a guy shooting this and he is the only one but he won't respond to questions. I will post it below for you to be able to get an idea of what I'm kinda looking for. I don't know what primer type or how much gun powder to put in it for each shot... Also can you use the same black powder in all black powder guns? Thanks!

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfb-XjvqLcw
I have the Traditions .31 caliber vest pocket derringer. I use 15 grains of Triple 7 and a .315 round ball. By switching to T 7 and using 15 grains and using .315 instead of .310 really improved my fps and the penetration. When I was using a .310 ball and 10 grains of Goex black powder the ball would bounce off a 2 liter bottle filled with water and would bounce off of a 3/8 th inch pine board, when i switched to T7 off and upped it to 15 grains and use the bigger .315 ball it now will shoot through the 1 liter bottle filled with water and it also will penetrate through the board. I was impressed. Very fun to shoot.

I have been working up loads for one of Dixie Gun Works Lincoln Deringers. This is the very high grade .41 caliber probably made by Pedersoli at his best years ago and not the one currently offered. I use fifteen grains of 3Fg and a .390 ball and .020 pillow ticking. Muzzle velocity is 685 fps. Penetration tests are to follow using a proper test medium such as a pineapple or wet pack. With a full load it is a dangerous little handful to be taken seriously. Dimensionally it is the same as the one in the Ford Theater Museum exhibit.

Back