• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions trapper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lethemgo

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have enough revolvers and built a 60 smooth flintlock. But have been thinking of another single shot. I'd really like a tc patriot but hard to find and out of my price range when I do. I like the 45 but will probably have to go with the traditions trapper 50. Hoping to find a used one but about to bite the bullet and buy a new one. Has anyone used one and what was the out come. Had an ardesa yrs ago but let a buddy talk me out of it on a short payday lol.

Built from a kit. Fun to build, did not take long and was kind of easy. And the best part extremely accurate. That target shows my first shots rested at 20 yds from a brand new build. Was easy to sight in. So I would recommend.

1638327792710.jpeg

1638327903404.jpeg

Second on the recommendation. Love mine. It shoots nicely and is very accurate. Only issue I had was the set trigger screw kept backing out and pushing up on the sear. A little fingernail polish fixed that right up.

RM

My Traditions Trapper is the first flintlock I've ever had, and I am glad to have gotten it. Out of the box, it has been a near-flawless performer. Get the 5/8" flints from Track of the Wolf for it, and you'll have the right size.

i bought this flit traditions trapper a few years back. mostly shoot the 250grn real bullet in it but have slung a few maxi ball 370's out.
this is one super accurate pistol within reason. never had a misfire yet and the ignition seems instant.
haven't shot any round ball yet.
on the glider.jpg

i bought this flit traditions trapper a few years back. mostly shoot the 250grn real bullet in it but have slung a few maxi ball 370's out.
this is one super accurate pistol within reason. never had a misfire yet and the ignition seems instant.
haven't shot any round ball yet.
View attachment 107210
that is a great looking rig, have a trapper and really enjoy shooting it

I really enjoy shooting this flintlock pistol. It is very accurate with .490 round ball and and prelubed .018 patch. PA conical 240 gr easy to load and fairly accurate as well.

Attachments

• A8BCC389-AD77-4E20-9CD1-99013FB115F1.jpeg
    A8BCC389-AD77-4E20-9CD1-99013FB115F1.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 43
  • 8B73D5B2-F7B9-4527-A296-D91412B6B1AE.jpeg
    8B73D5B2-F7B9-4527-A296-D91412B6B1AE.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 54
I have one of those. I bought it 5 months ago and already have over 600 shots through it, so yeah, I like it. It's very reliable and flints seem to last forever in it as I usually get over 100 shots out of one flint.

In the interest of full disclosure I should mention that I did have a problem with it. The first 100 shots it was fine but then all of the sudden I started having a problem getting decent spark. I tried a couple different flints but the problem persisted. I finally changed the frizzen and Bingo I was in business. It's been fine ever since. I'm guessing the original frizzen wasn't hardened deep enough and after the hardened layer was gone it quit sparking.

003 trapper pistol 6-29-21.jpg

I have one of those. I bought it 5 months ago and already have over 600 shots through it, so yeah, I like it. It's very reliable and flints seem to last forever in it as I usually get over 100 shots out of one flint.

In the interest of full disclosure I should mention that I did have a problem with it. The first 100 shots it was fine but then all of the sudden I started having a problem getting decent spark. I tried a couple different flints but the problem persisted. I finally changed the frizzen and Bingo I was in business. It's been fine ever since. I'm guessing the original frizzen wasn't hardened deep enough and after the hardened layer was gone it quit sparking.

View attachment 107232
Where did you get the new frizzen?

Mine came with a decent touch hole liner. Not sure of the right terminology here, but, it is concave on both sides, providing quick ignition. Would like to get a spare but don’t know where to get one? I don’t need a new frizzen, but would be interested where to find one.

View attachment 107232
I'd like to know, too.

Mine came with a decent touch hole liner. Not sure of the right terminology here, but, it is concave on both sides, providing quick ignition. Would like to get a spare but don’t know where to get one? I don’t need a new frizzen, but would be interested where to find one.
Traditions has spare touch hole liners for 8 bucks , but they dont have a spare frizzen though, just an FYI.

I don’t need a new frizzen, but would be interested where to find one.
I'd like to know, too.

Earlier this year I'd bought Traditions standard frizzens from both Old South and here at Muzzleloaders.com but I see both are currently out of stock. However they are currently listed as in stock here:

Traditions Frizzen – RMC Ox-Yoke Muzzleloader Supplies

This is the 1721 which is used in both my Traditions Trapper pistol and Deerhunter rifle. Some Traditions rifles use a different frizzen, a 1722 which is also listed as currently in stock with that same vendor. I know that's what's in my son's PA rifle.

Another fan of the Traditions Trapper. I've used a percussion version for several years and it is more accurate than I can shoot. Recently got a flint version and so far the lock has been reliable and fast with the same level of accuracy. I consider them a good value.

BTW, some people don't like the 'fancy' trigger guard for the middle finger on the Trapper but I do. I find it really helps me with a steady hold.

Jeff

Last edited:
Earlier this year I'd bought Traditions standard frizzens from both Old South and here at Muzzleloaders.com but I see both are currently out of stock. However they are currently listed as in stock here:

Traditions Frizzen – RMC Ox-Yoke Muzzleloader Supplies

This is the 1721 which is used in both my Traditions Trapper pistol and Deerhunter rifle. Some Traditions rifles use a different frizzen, a 1722 which is also listed as currently in stock with that same vendor. I know that's what's in my son's PA rifle.
I like that commonality of parts. I'd like to get one of the rifles, too, and having a rifle that shares parts with my pistol would be nice.

Latest posts

Back