• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions trapper?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer12345

40 Cal
Reaction score
Are these worth fooling with? I have decided I don't really want to fool with a cap and ball revolver at the moment, but a single shot pistol appeals to me. Opinions on quality, accuracy? Looks like the default is a 50 cal percussion. I suppose the alternative is a Lyman Plains pistol.

Brewer,
The Traditions Trapper is sort of a knock-off of the TC Patriot. The TC version comes in .45 cal. I think early ones even offered a .36 cal.

in my opinion the TC is a much better pistol. It has a walnut stock. The triggers and lock are excellent. The spur on the upper portion of the stock is reminiscent of a saw handled pistol. It provides a positive place to locate your hand on the stock and helps to prevent gripping too high on the stock. It also helps keep the wrist more straight and in closer in line with the axis of the bore. That helps control recoil.

The Trapper has the ‘mystery’ wood, birch stock. The wood is good. It just doesn’t look as nice as the walnut.

The TC has very nice sights. The rear sight is fully adjustable. The Traditions has nice sights.

There have been concerns over cracks developing in the stocks of the Patriot models. That is more likely caused by over tightening the lock bolt, or improper loading techniques.

I have owned for over twenty years, two Patriots. Both are excellent in fit and finish and are very fun to shoot. I have absolutely no complaints or experienced any problems with those pistols.

The Traditions and TC Patriot, as far as I know, are not historically accurate, if that is of concern. You may be able to find a used Patriot for what you would pay for the Traditions.

Just my two, maybe three cents...:cool:

If you are looking for historic correctness, the Trapper ain't it. The Lyman is much closer and I read a lot of good things about them but never shot one. I do have a percussion Trapper I bought used which is very accurate at least to 25 or 30 yards. I like the 'weird' trigger guard on the Trapper. I have big hands and that rear hook gives me a place for my finger.

If you're just looking for an affordable side lock pistol, without the historic aspects, the Trapper is worth looking at.

Jeff

I carved the spur off mine, and re-profiled the grip.
Other than that it seems O.K. It puts a hole what I am aiming at out to 45 -50 yards, at any rate.
Sometimes I wish I''d gotten the "Kentucky Pistol" instead, but it cost more than I had that day.

As others have mentioned, it is not a historically accurate piece.
Personally, I don't fret about that, since I am too old to be "historically Accurate" or "Period Correct", anyway.
(Most folk "back in the day" did not make it to my age alive.)

The Trapper is a great pistol and VERY accurate! MUCH better shooting than the lyman. I've had both!

I like my traditions trapper. very accurate with the real 250grn. never shot a round ball in it but bought some to try when spring arrives.

Interesting how the Lyman vs Trapper preference seems to go with people who have owned them. I suspect due to the variability that comes with mass produced? There must be good and bad of both, and that’s what we see here??

That the price point I would be at, so I wish there were a way to eyeball them and pick a winner!

"Are these worth fooling with?" Yes. Yes they are. As are the Lyman pistols. Both the Ardesa (Spanish made for Traditions) and the Investarms (Italian, made for Lyman) are big, clunky, non-correct clubs. Both are accurate, reliable, and easy to maintain. If at all possible, try to actually hold an example of either in your hand before you buy. Whichever feels best to you is probably the one you want.

Mine shoots great with 30 grns of fffg.

6300E8AB-C9A2-46BA-9070-27C4B52C6C0A.jpeg

Back