• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Trapper Thanksgiving Doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkasprzak

40 Cal
Reaction score
I was able to take a doe Friday after Thanksgiving with my Traditions Trapper .50 caliber pistol. The load was a .490 ball, .015 patch lubed with TOTW Mink Oil, 35 grains of Goex 2F, and a Winchester Magnum percussion cap. She was approximately 18 - 20 yards and broadside when I shot. I was very excited to know I can take deer with this gun and load, hopefully there will be more in the future.

C6AC2DC1-B200-4C63-98A0-199500ADD4A8.jpeg

This really shows that we don't "need" to lug around a 5-foot rifle to do the same job...well done sir.
If you only plan on taking 20 yard shots, then sure. LOL. Congratulations to the OP on his accomplishment. Took much patience and stealth to pull off so well. I'll keep taking my long guns to the woods, though. I'm not that good of a pistol shot.

Congratulations! That's an awesome achievement.

Just out curiosity...how much penetration did the ball get? You made a great shot, but a lot of "mass" right in that area to penetrate. Clearly it was enough, but wondering if it passed through or made it to hide on opposing side or stopped in the internals.

I have had a .54 Chambers Colonial pistol on the bench for far too long. My intent is to use that for some whitetail hunts in the future. So I'd like to learn from these real-life and fairly rare muzzleloading pistol big game kills.

It's amazing that a seemingly anemic muzzleloading pistols can kill a deer. I've seen they go like crazy, shot through both sides by big modern unmentionable calibers. Shot placement rules.
Shot placement ALWAYS rules. Double lung and or heart beats guts or neck any day. I will say in full disclosure, if you are hunting with a high velocity modern cartridge rifle like a 243Win or 270Win, a shot to the neck is almost always instantly fatal. But that's not what this forum is about.

Latest posts

Back