• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Trapper Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my Trapper pistol yesterday. Looks like a nice piece. I bought the finished model rather than the kit because it was only $10 more and I am too busy now with fishing and camping as my leisure time activities. I intend to put together a kit Kentucky flintlock as a winter project when I'll have more time.
Instructions were generic so anyone know what spec cap I use and where I can get them? I have a Deerhunter flintlock so percussion sidelocks are new to me. I've heard they are tough to find just like BP.
@allyncooper ,

I don't own one of those pistols, but I am confident that it would use #11 caps, which seem to be the standard size for sporting long arms and single-shot pistols these days. Even if I'm wrong, replacement nipples are easy to find and inexpensive, and you can get one specifically sized for #11 caps.

As for caps, I don't know what to tell you. Caps are difficult to find, and if you do find some to have shipped, you'll pay an extra Hazardous Materials ("HazMat") fee. Check your local Big Box sportsmen's suppliers regularly for caps. They trickle in, and sell out fast. I would be careful shopping online. There are websites out there for "businesses" nobody has heard of before that claim to have stocks of percussion caps and primers for very attractive prices. Beware. Many of these are outright scams, and some want to be paid in "cryptocurrency," like Bitcoin. Be especially wary of these. You'll want to stick with sellers who have an established reputation. If you have any concerns about a dealer, search for comments on the Web, or ask right here on the forum.

Those of us who have been in this for a while have learned that shortages come and go, and when commodities like caps are available it is wise to buy a few extra. Stocking up and being prepared is not the same as hoarding. However, if you are just getting started, you would not have anticipated this. I understand... I've done a lot of shooting with muzzleloaders, as well as breech loaders with factory ammunition. However, I'm just now trying to get started in blackpowder cartridge reloading. I have everything I need except primers, which are evidently being pulled into that same black hole with percussion caps. You can't get primers for love nor money right now.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new sidearm. I understand those Trappers can be very accurate and reliable... A good choice for an entry-level pistol.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Black powder is easy to get if you don’t mind ordering it for delivery. I’ve not seen caps readily available anywhere at retail businesses or online except very intermittently in the last year or two.

I ended up ordering a cap maker from sharpshooter online and received it in about a week.
Can you give me more info on the cap maker from Sharpshooter? Found the store online but can't find the product you refer. TIA

@allyncooper ,

I don't own one of those pistols, but I am confident that it would use #11 caps, which seem to be the standard size for sporting long arms and single-shot pistols these days. Even if I'm wrong, replacement nipples are easy to find and inexpensive, and you can get one specifically sized for #11 caps.

As for caps, I don't know what to tell you. Caps are difficult to find, and if you do find some to have shipped, you'll pay an extra Hazardous Materials ("HazMat") fee. Check your local Big Box sportsmen's suppliers regularly for caps. They trickle in, and sell out fast. I would be careful shopping online. There are websites out there for "businesses" nobody has heard of before that claim to have stocks of percussion caps and primers for very attractive prices. Beware. Many of these are outright scams, and some want to be paid in "cryptocurrency," like Bitcoin. Be especially wary of these. You'll want to stick with sellers who have an established reputation. If you have any concerns about a dealer, search for comments on the Web, or ask right here on the forum.

Those of us who have been in this for a while have learned that shortages come and go, and when commodities like caps are available it is wise to buy a few extra. Stocking up and being prepared is not the same as hoarding. However, if you are just getting started, you would not have anticipated this. I understand... I've done a lot of shooting with muzzleloaders, as well as breech loaders with factory ammunition. However, I'm just now trying to get started in blackpowder cartridge reloading. I have everything I need except primers, which are evidently being pulled into that same black hole with percussion caps. You can't get primers for love nor money right now.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new sidearm. I understand those Trappers can be very accurate and reliable... A good choice for an entry-level pistol.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Checked Sportman's Warehouse the other day and nothing. I do have enough BP to get started, but that's cost some whip getting it shipped. May very well land up as a wall hanger at least for a while. I'll keep checking online maybe the supply will loosen up.

Much obliged. I think I might have been looking at the wrong companies website.
You're welcome. I bought the same kit from them but haven't had to test it out yet because I bought a good number of caps before the crisis hit. The parts certainly interact like they'll make some good caps, though, given the careful fitting of the two pieces to the device.

Back