• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Trapper First Shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What stain did you use to get the darker red color in the stock?
I have a kit that is still unstarted and in the box along with a bunch of others.
Trying to figure out which project is next.
Looks great.
Nice job.
I used Fiebings Dark Brown leather dye followed with three coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-oil. I used the same dye on the stock and the holster. After completing this build I have wondered if I would have gotten more even coloring by putting one coat of Tru-oil and then the leather dye, followed by two or three more coats of Tru-oil. I believe I read on this forum someone had stained a stock using that procedure with good results. You could always try it in the barrel channel and lock inlet area to see how you like the result.

Gosh, thirty years ago it was so nice to be able to ride our bicycles to Carter's.

The last thirty-five years or so I’ve been shooting at the range near Cy-Fair, it was closed this year following a shooting accident at the facility. The first time I drove to Carter’s back in February I was astonished at all the ”changes” in that area. Once you get to Carter’s and walking in… nothing has changed in all those years. It’s still a great place to shoot…

Back