• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Trapper First Shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkasprzak

40 Cal
Reaction score
I finally made it to the range today to shoot my new Traditions Trapper pistol I put together from a kit. I shot several 3 shot groups at various powder charges trying to determine the best load and I’ve included the targets for your amusement. I drew black dots on each target to represent the point of aim I used for each group, and circled the groups to hopefully add clarity.

Actually, I’m pleased with the results even though I cannot explain what happened with the 35 grain group at the top of the second target. Next time out I’m going to try a thicker patch and Dutch’s dry patch system. All in all at this point, I’m happy with the gun and it will make a fun plinker and a good back up to my TC Hawken when hunting.

081CDF90-D6F9-42B3-9673-FF4524C8396D.jpeg 872CA2BB-5014-4DC1-96A4-6212EC9D56E7.jpeg

Nice!I had one of those several years ago, it was quite accurate with a 490. ball, 20 grains of fff goex, and a .016 patch lubed with olive oil. I loved to shoot it, I made the goofy decision to sell it.. I regret that. Someday I’ll get another. Thanks for sharing! 👍🏻

Pretty good shooting!
If you get the chance, try some Hornady PA conicals.
They shoot awesome out of my old CVA mountain pistol.
45 grains of 3f Swiss, is my charge.

Looks pretty good to me, especially that 25 grain group. I would do a few more of those and see if you're running tighter groups at that charge. The one i do see looks promising for sure. Those 35 grain groups are pretty good as well.

If it was me, i would shoot a few 20 grain groups, and a few more 25's. If those 20's aren't tighter, then i would just start loading 30.. happy medium between 25 and 35... if the 20's are tight, i would just do a few groups at 15 to convince myself whether loading less than 20 would diminish accuracy..
My guess right now, is your best charge is somewhere above 20 and below 35.

Looks pretty good to me, especially that 25 grain group. I would do a few more of those and see if you're running tighter groups at that charge. The one i do see looks promising for sure. Those 35 grain groups are pretty good as well.

If it was me, i would shoot a few 20 grain groups, and a few more 25's. If those 20's aren't tighter, then i would just start loading 30.. happy medium between 25 and 35... if the 20's are tight, i would just do a few groups at 15 to convince myself whether loading less than 20 would diminish accuracy..
My guess right now, is your best charge is somewhere above 20 and below 35.

@.36Rooster Next time out I will try your suggestions!! I agree that 20-35 is the sweet spot and probably close to 30 as you mentioned.

Very nice! I really like that holster too. I have one of those pistols, but mine was not a kit, and it’s a flintlock. They are nice guns. You did a nice job on yours!

Thanks, I don’t consider myself a wood worker by any stretch, but with help from this forum and going slow it came out well.

I have one of those except mines a flinter. It's fun to shoot but I'm not very accurate with it. I don't blame the gun as most of the problem is surely the shooter. I normally shoot it at 10 yds one handed from a duelers stance and I'm happy just to get all the shots on the target. If we were back in the day and I accepted a challenge to duel I'd probably be a dead man.

i too have the flint model of the trapper. this pistol is super accurate using the Real 250grn. bullet. i use it with bore butter and i did notice that if i shoot 5 rounds as quickly as i can load, the barrel expands a little and the Real bullet slides down "real" easily. been thinking of wrapping it in teflon tape like i've read here in a post a while back if it ever warms up.

I have one of those except mines a flinter. It's fun to shoot but I'm not very accurate with it. I don't blame the gun as most of the problem is surely the shooter. I normally shoot it at 10 yds one handed from a duelers stance and I'm happy just to get all the shots on the target. If we were back in the day and I accepted a challenge to duel I'd probably be a dead man.

Yeah….that’s why I don’t duel!!!

You put together a very handsome pistol indeed. And that holster looks good too. That pistol is obviously a very accurate one. I've never owned a Trapper but do have a .50 flint that I really like. Those pistols appear to be gems.

Nice job on the holster. I need to come up with something like that for my Trapper. It would be nice to get out and shoot mine, but these arctic cold fronts keep blowing through my area.

What stain did you use to get the darker red color in the stock?
I have a kit that is still unstarted and in the box along with a bunch of others.
Trying to figure out which project is next.
Looks great.
Nice job.

Nice looking piece and a shooter too. Well done sir.

Gosh, thirty years ago it was so nice to be able to ride our bicycles to Carter's.

Latest posts

Back