• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Trapper .50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thekingd93

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Shooting my new traditions trapper for the first time yesterday at a steel target 17 yards off the back deck. With 20 grains of Swiss 3F it was hitting low and left about 6-7 inches and couldn't get a decent group. I tried different patch and ball combinations, the best I could do was with 10 grains and a 0.10 patch but it was still hitting low and the group wasn't very good. Patch burn though seemed to be an issue so I tried thicker 0.20 patches but they loaded very hard and the round balls would get flat spots from loading. With 30 grains it was all over the place couldn't hit anything. Maybe it needs breaking in. Back to the drawing board. Should be able to put one shot on top of another with this thing at 15-25 yards.

Attachments

• 20220627_130225.jpg
    20220627_130225.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220627_130352.jpg
    20220627_130352.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220626_194210.jpg
    20220626_194210.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220626_193500.jpg
    20220626_193500.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 0
Swiss is hotter than other powders. I would venture to say a load around 15 grains of Swiss is the sweet spot. But just like a rifle, work up your best grouping load first and then adjust the sights to bring it on point.

Swiss is hotter than other powders. I would venture to say a load around 15 grains of Swiss is the sweet spot. But just like a rifle, work up your best grouping load first and then adjust the sights to bring it on point.
The sights are not adjustable for windage unless you bang the front sight over I suppose. The rear sight has a small screw in front of rear sight notch to adjust elevation but that's about it.

Shooting my new traditions trapper for the first time yesterday at a steel target 17 yards off the back deck. With 20 grains of Swiss 3F it was hitting low and left about 6-7 inches and couldn't get a decent group. I tried different patch and ball combinations, the best I could do was with 10 grains and a 0.10 patch but it was still hitting low and the group wasn't very good. Patch burn though seemed to be an issue so I tried thicker 0.20 patches but they loaded very hard and the round balls would get flat spots from loading. With 30 grains it was all over the place couldn't hit anything. Maybe it needs breaking in. Back to the drawing board. Should be able to put one shot on top of another with this thing at 15-25 yards.
I've also got a .50 Trapper. I haven't fired it since last fall, but it was dead on at about 30 yards with 25 grains GOEX FFFG and a .490 RB. I was going to try a bit hotter load, but decided why bother. I picked it up from a kid who got it from his grandpa, never fired still in the box. I never did anything to it other than load it up and fire it. BTW, I got it for $100. The kid had no interest in Black Powder.

I've also got a .50 Trapper. I haven't fired it since last fall, but it was dead on at about 30 yards with 25 grains GOEX FFFG and a .490 RB. I was going to try a bit hotter load, but decided why bother. I picked it up from a kid who got it from his grandpa, never fired still in the box. I never did anything to it other than load it up and fire it. BTW, I got it for $100. The kid had no interest in Black Powder.
Thats a steal for a trapper mine was over 300 bucks

Do
I guess he figured as he got it free, a hundred bucks was a hundred bucks.
You remember the thickness patch you were using? I ordered some 0.15 ticking patches hopefully that helps. The 0.20 cabelas patches were way to thick and the 0.10 ones I had seemed really cheap and thin material.

Do

You remember the thickness patch you were using? I ordered some 0.15 ticking patches hopefully that helps. The 0.20 cabelas patches were way to thick and the 0.10 ones I had seemed really cheap and thin material.
They were the .015 pillow ticking (dry non prelubed). Out shooting for fun, I usually spit patch, but I was pre rubbing bore butter on them that particular day. I have used the .010 patches with my Pedersoli LePage .44 caliber (.433 round ball) with pretty good success.

The .015 patches should help.
You could, at some point, try a different size ball. Maybe a .495, with the .010 thick patch.
My old CVA Mountain pistol seems to shoot best with 45 grains of 3f under the Hornady PA conical bullet.

I haven't shot my flintlock Trapper rested, so my groups are limited to the limits of my marksmanship skills with the pistol. I run 40gr of 3f Goex under a .010 pre-lubed patch but still get the proper elevation and windage with that setup.

Latest posts

Back