• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Tennessee lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have this like new Traditions Tenn flintlock 50. Very accurate with patched RB. Lock time is good, trigger is double set and very good.
The lock on this Spanish made gun feels flimsy. Thinking about replacing it but not sure if I want to add additional money to this gun. Adding a replacement L&R will cost $250. Then I’d have $750 in this Traditions?
Or sell as is build a Kibler or Pecatonica
Southern mountain!
Any opinion is welcome, thanks

Many of the Traditions firearms are very accurate. I see those locks being bad-mouthed lots here due to lack of a bridle but I've got good service from the one I've owned for 35 or 40 years or so. I've always kept it well lubed, especially where the tumbler shaft goes through the lockplate. You said " Lock time is good, trigger is double set and very good." Why replace it at all? I am of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought. Lock feels flimsy? Not sure what that means. Why not just use it and enjoy a well-working flintlock. JMHO.

Thanks for the input. Flimsy to me equates to small, fragile because my flintlock experience has been mostly with a NW Trade gun! It has a massive lock and uses 1 “ flints. Very stout strong lock. I have to admit I just don’t have enough experience with different locks to know what a really good lock fells like. Been shooting the trade gun only for 15 to 20 years.

Have this like new Traditions Tenn flintlock 50. Very accurate with patched RB. Lock time is good, trigger is double set and very good.
The lock on this Spanish made gun feels flimsy. Thinking about replacing it but not sure if I want to add additional money to this gun. Adding a replacement L&R will cost $250. Then I’d have $750 in this Traditions?
Or sell as is build a Kibler or Pecatonica
Southern mountain!
Any opinion is welcome, thanks
If it's working fine then I would leave it be. As BEP mentioned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I own several Traditions rifles with another ready to be built (still in the plastic) and I just got my first Kibler kit in the mail that I have barely started on. There is no comparison between a Traditions kit and the Kibler, but the price difference has a lot to say about that. I actually bought an L&R lock for my next Traditions kit because I'll be converting it from percussion to a flinter. I'd take that $250 for the lock and put it toward a Kibler quick-sell kit.

Thanks, that’s what I’m thinking. Long haul get the Kibler!
You would be money ahead in my opinion. The only reason I bought the L&R lock for my Traditions rifle was because it was a percussion I wanted to convert to a flintlock and I got a decent deal on the kit, to begin with. In retrospect, I should have just saved the $250.

Thanks, that’s what I’m thinking. Long haul get the Kibler!
I spent the money and put an L & R rpl lock on an Investarms kit. Had to put a lot of work into the lock to get it where I wanted it. Not sorry I did it, but wouldn’t do it again. Your Traditions will be a good stand alone rifle and you can put the money toward your Kibler.

If you want a nicer rifle then something you started with then upgrading seems like a solid idea. As you progress in any endeavor it good to move up rather then make do. If you decide on a Kibler then you won’t need to up grade again.
I would love a Kibler! Maybe I can save my lunch money's, and just one day 😉 enjoying my Traditions Kentucky for now, but one day lol

I spent the money and put an L & R rpl lock on an Investarms kit. Had to put a lot of work into the lock to get it where I wanted it. Not sorry I did it, but wouldn’t do it again. Your Traditions will be a good stand alone rifle and you can put the money toward your Kibler.
Hey TDM, [or anyone else] I don't own a flinter but follow these threads to learn about them. I am a bit mystified and seek enlightenment. I own one Traditions 50 capper that is reliable and more accurate than I am. And as I follow these threads, it seems, cap or flint I hear the same things about them repetitively; accurate, reliable and durable. Even those with complaints generally praise their accuracy. I haven't owned mine long enough to claim durability but many others attest to this. Now, I knew when I bought mine it was a budget affair, but was pleasantly surprised by its positives. I never heard of a Kibler before but knew I could spend a lot more for a 'better' quality rifle. Thats not what I needed or wanted. But I can't help noticing how many op's w a lot of ML experience and rifles have bought a Traditions only to say they wish they had held out for a Kibler. I trust those here that praise them but I have not heard what they do better and wonder what that is. Also, since Traditions are a pretty known quantity [like em or hate em] why would one go that route and not just hold out for the Kibler? I am not attacking the desire for a higher quality rifle. I get that. I had one 'go to' deer rifle for years. Well made and accurate. I then decided I wanted 2 more rifles of pretty high quality. I waited 5 years for one and 10 for the other w out purchasing a 'budget' model in between. Seems like the depreciation of a new Traditions would be a preventative to this kind of purchase if you might just want to turn it over. I now don my helmet and flack vest for the incoming. Thanks. SW

Hey TDM, [or anyone else] I don't own a flinter but follow these threads to learn about them. I am a bit mystified and seek enlightenment. I own one Traditions 50 capper that is reliable and more accurate than I am. And as I follow these threads, it seems, cap or flint I hear the same things about them repetitively; accurate, reliable and durable. Even those with complaints generally praise their accuracy. I haven't owned mine long enough to claim durability but many others attest to this. Now, I knew when I bought mine it was a budget affair, but was pleasantly surprised by its positives. I never heard of a Kibler before but knew I could spend a lot more for a 'better' quality rifle. Thats not what I needed or wanted. But I can't help noticing how many op's w a lot of ML experience and rifles have bought a Traditions only to say they wish they had held out for a Kibler. I trust those here that praise them but I have not heard what they do better and wonder what that is. Also, since Traditions are a pretty known quantity [like em or hate em] why would one go that route and not just hold out for the Kibler? I am not attacking the desire for a higher quality rifle. I get that. I had one 'go to' deer rifle for years. Well made and accurate. I then decided I wanted 2 more rifles of pretty high quality. I waited 5 years for one and 10 for the other w out purchasing a 'budget' model in between. Seems like the depreciation of a new Traditions would be a preventative to this kind of purchase if you might just want to turn it over. I now don my helmet and flack vest for the incoming. Thanks. SW
I do have a selection of Investarms, TC, and a Traditions too. And Pedersoli. None match the component quality of a Kibler kit. But it boils down to personal preference and how much money one can spend.

Thanks for the input. Flimsy to me equates to small, fragile because my flintlock experience has been mostly with a NW Trade gun! It has a massive lock and uses 1 “ flints. Very stout strong lock. I have to admit I just don’t have enough experience with different locks to know what a really good lock fells like. Been shooting the trade gun only for 15 to 20 years.
I think it's just a matter of getting used to the lock, quite a bit of difference in size and style of locks from a NW trade gun to a Tenn. rifle. Like others stated if me I would save the money and add to it for a kibler. I would already have one but been waiting on a lefty, don't look like it's going to happen might have to buy a right-handed southern mountain, Right now preparing for mule deer and antelope hunt in Wyoming first week of October, Perhaps the boss lady will ask what I want for Christmas thinking it might be time to give Jim a call when we get back.

Back