• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Tennessee Flinter bore object?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audie1966

32 Cal
Reaction score
Picked up a very used Traditions Tennessee Flintlock and ran my borescope in it. What the heck is this? An object on the opposite side of the touch hole. Also has trigger issues. I reworked the trigger and made it "acceptable". i found that the rear "set" trigger was way out of specs. Incredible pressure require to set it. I got the main trigger down to 3 pounds solo and 8 to 11 ounces set. Still tunig it. The lands of the trigger notches were battered from incorrect trigger manipulation. May have to replace it. The lock tang has an odd bent in it, but so does my new Traditions Woodsman. Just looks weird.

Attachments

• Trad Tenn FL (3).JPG
    Trad Tenn FL (3).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Trad Tenn FL (9).JPG
    Trad Tenn FL (9).JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Trad Tenn FL (1)_Trim.mp4
    1.5 MB
An object on the opposite side of the touch hole
Very strange. Looks to be something threaded. Is there a place on the flat opposite the touch hole that might indicate a screw, or something, being put in? Of course, don't try to use until you get the issue solved. A gunsmith might have to drill it out and hone the barrel there. Let us know what you do.

Thanks to the efforts of a passed member of the Forum, Zonie, we have drawings of most of the breech designs. The New CVA Style and the Traditions use the same breech design.

1658064362928.png

We are seeing a threaded portion that may be the result of a conversion from percussion to flint on @Audie1966's rifle. After the drum was removed, a plug was fashioned to fill to threads left on the side opposite the touch hole. None the less, the threaded plug seen serves no useful purpose and should be investigated. Look for a possible plug on the barrel flat opposite the touch hole as @Rifleman1776 suggests. The flint touch hole likely is threaded through the barrel and breech plug and will have to be removed if the breech plug is to be removed to get access to that obstruction. That obstruction is hopefully only through the breech plug. Not a job for most of us.

Here's a better picture of the CVA/Traditions Breech that is in most of their rifles.

1658065996847.png

There should not be an object in the breech nor residual threads from a conversion from percussion to flint. I'm not happy with my answer based on the drawings and the CVA photo.

I'm liking @Grimord's speculation better than mine.

Is @Audie1966's rifle a hooked breech rifle or is the breech plug part of the tang?

Looks to me like some previous owner screwed in a slotted touch hole liner too far such that it is stuck in the breech area.
Looks to me like some previous owner screwed in a slotted touch hole liner too far such that it is stuck in the breech area.
Not a foreign object. I was able to clean out the obstruction. This carbine was unloved by its previous owner. It even had an extra thimble attached midway for a sling mount which failed. Not enough material to hold any weight. I have to find a brass slotted screw to replace the gaudy bright rear sling mount that was attached. for now I replaced it with a matte black one. I prefer brass in almost every case. Now I am looking for brass screws.

It does look as if a liner got into that area of them breech. I'd certainly want to know what it is before I shot it.

It does look as if a liner got into that area of them breech. I'd certainly want to know what it is before I shot it.
That is why I run my bore scope into every used piece I get. I was able to clear the object and get a clean barrel. If you all do not have a bore scope. Get one. I had used mine for a myriad of projects. Under refrigerator searches. Into my engine by way of the spark plug ports. It is an endless list of ideas.

So what was the object in the breech?
Appears to have been fouling left behind by previous owner neglect. I had to use TC foaming bore cleaner to reduce and dislodge it. Worked great. Simple patches did not make a dent so I thought it was damage. All is great now. The TC foam is fantastic!

Appears to have been fouling left behind by previous owner neglect. I had to use TC foaming bore cleaner to reduce and dislodge it. Worked great. Simple patches did not make a dent so I thought it was damage. All is great now. The TC foam is fantastic!
Got a "after" picture ?

Back