• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Traditions/Pietta 1861 Colt Sheriff's Model

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This was part of a small collection I purchased at a gun show, but I'm not really into nickel plated revolvers. The nickel plating seems to be historically correct for this model, but someone with better knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong - and please correct if I've also missed on the model name.

This gun has a 5-1/2-inch barrel, 1999 proof date, .36 caliber, never fired, with extra blued fluted cylinder and original box, although you can see that the box and insert are not in great condition. This seems to have been dry-fired a number of times before I acquired it, so there are some minor handling marks, particularly on the nickel cylinder; there's no turn ring but some marks near the cylinder stop leads from having been cycled. A friend of mine meticulously cleaned, de-burred and polished all mating surfaces, and touched up the bolt, hand, hammer and trigger for a crisp, tight action with a light trigger. The original hammer spring was ridiculously tight so it has been replaced (I think it's a Wolff spring but not sure) and the hammer pull is now very comfortable.

I'm not sure how to price this but I'm asking $425. Buyer pays actual shipping and insurance, USPS or UPS, buyer's choice. Payment by check or money order - will ship when check clears.

If pics are not satisfactory I'll try to take better images but I can't promise anything - I'm not a photographer.

Attachments

• Pietta1.jpg
    Pietta1.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Pietta2.jpg
    Pietta2.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 307
  • Pietta3.jpg
    Pietta3.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 376
  • Pietta4.jpg
    Pietta4.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 328
I think it's a reasonable price in today's market. But finding a seat for that saddle might be tough. I've never seen grips like that on a BP revolver.

I think this would be great with ivory grips but I’m not interested in doing it. I’ll leave it to the next owner.

These dressy revolvers were often Nickle over brass, which is Ok. While it is not for me
it would make a good piece for a presentable house gun or extra self-defense revolver.
For occasional shooting , to scare off unwanted wildlife and as a conversation piece in
a display case. Some of these were presentation pieces in honor of Western Heroes.
I realize .36 is not considered powerful, but that depends upon who is shooting it.
The extra cylinder is nice and adds value. The price is good, considering the present-day
rarity. I could see that gun at a beach house , cabin on a lake or luxury home.

Check out the Eras Gone bullet molds. The 36 colt pattern is a slammer, 147 grains. Will be chronographing soon.

I use the Eras Gone 36 Colt Cartridge Works and 44 Johnston and Dow in other revolvers. I love shooting them but I found that I’m going to have to modify several guns to allow them to be loaded. The loading port in the frame is not cut properly on most of my Italian repros and is even wrong on my 1851 Navy 2nd generation. I’m really annoyed that modern manufacturers have almost all screwed up this detail. :mad:

I’ve just started shooting the Eras Gone .54 Richmond Sharps in the 1859 Sharps I recently acquired - still testing loads but shooting two-inch groups at 25 yards with the stock sights and trigger. Kudos to Mark Hubbs!!

Yea I just got that one and have yet to try it. I bet it will do better than that. The pedersoli bullet was ok when I shot it many years ago too. You know I had not tried the J&D bullet in my Navy 44s, and lo and behold they do not fit. The only navys I have in 44 are those bastardized short ones with the fluted cylinders, and they great carry guns where my permit isn't reciprocal (except nevada). Have to get a cylinder loader from powderinc lol.

Gentlemen
This is an advertisement to sell a pistol. Let's keep our discussions on that track.
Comments about bullets, powder loads and other things should be done using a PM.

No takers at $425 (and that was just my asking price - not firm!) so I'll sweeten it a bit.

$400 and I'll pay shipping and insurance, USPS, CONUS only. PM with questions, offers, etc.

William has me wondering whether the frame is brass or steel? Till he said that I just assumed it was steel.

Brass. But at least the barrel is steel. ;-)

Verrrrry interrrrresting. I never woulda thought to ask if it wasn't for William. I've got one of the brass frame Piettas. At first I was hesitant to shoot it, but the guys all assured me it would be fine and wasn't going to loosen up.

These were marketed by The Sportsman's Guide back in the late 90s...they sold them for a song, ($75 ) I bought 3. Traded them off over the years. All of mine shot really well.

Yes, indeed. And even though you haven't asked, I'm even willing to negotiate the price! Please PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back