• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Mountain Rifle in 50 caliber percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the accuracy of a Traditions percussion 50 caliber Mountain Rifle ? Any suggestions on loads ? Any tips ? Thanks.

Measure barrel max an minimum. Select a ball .010 smaller of minimum. Load 60 gns fff. Use .010 patch. If it starts very easy try .015. Don't want it so tight you have to hammer it in but not thumb press in either. Work up on the load till accuracy dwindles or just doesn't improve considering amount of powder. Black powder and substitutes deliver peek pressure at a certain load and adding more does not deliver enough more to be worth wasting the powder.
I have a 45 Kentucy, 50 Hawken and 58 Zouave. All shoot good at 65-70 gns.
When it comes to distance they have a trajectory like a rainbow. More powder will not make it shoot much flatter.
A .478 mini will probably work at same load. If the bore measures tight (under a hair) a .475

Traditions actually has had 2 different Mountain rifles over the years. The first ones were the same as the CVA Mountain rifles. They either used up the inventory of them or discontinued them. Then awhile back (5-10 years?) They offered a limited quantity of what were originally H&A Mountain Rifles. Both are known for great accuracy. I have the Traditions-CVA version and shoot 65 grains FF with a .495 ball and pillow ticking of unmeasured thickness. Dead-on accuracy.

I have one of the “new” mountain rifles with the cerakote finish. Still breaking it in but with factory prelubed patches and hornady swaged balls and 80 grs of FFFg i can put up a good group at 50 yards. It also seems to do well with maxi balls.

Attachments

• ABEDB152-FD55-4DB6-89A6-0FDE9C920A3B.jpeg
    ABEDB152-FD55-4DB6-89A6-0FDE9C920A3B.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 71

Latest posts

Back