• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Lock Not Firing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahkagari

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Put my .32 Traditions Crockett together and test fired a primer and nada. Checked for anything sticking on the hammer. Couldn't find anything to adjust the spring tension. Checked the batch of primers in another gun and they worked fine. Any thoughts?

Put my .32 Traditions Crockett together and test fired a primer and nada. Checked for anything sticking on the hammer. Couldn't find anything to adjust the spring tension. Checked the batch of primers in another gun and they worked fine. Any thoughts?

What do you mean it's not firing ? does the lock work but the caps don't go bang ?
If so, you may have over tightened the lock screws, loosen a half turn and try again.

Is this a newly assembled kit or a gun you have been shooting?

Yes, correct.

What do you mean it's not firing ? does the lock work but the caps don't go bang ?
If so, you may have over tightened the lock screws, loosen a half turn and try again.

Right. Hammer falls with a good clack, but no bang. Tried loosening the screws.

Next I'd see if the lock internals are hitting any wood, I'd also check to see if it's actually hitting the nipple, and not falling a few thousands short.

Next I'd see if the lock internals are hitting any wood, I'd also check to see if it's actually hitting the nipple, and not falling a few thousands short.

Yep, even unscrewed the nipple to raise it as a test.

I had one once that the hammer was too tight behind where it screws on and that was slowing the hammer down. There could be a burr or rough spot on the internals, you my need to completely dismantle, clean and polish where necessary.
Beyond that it should fire if the hammer is striking the nipple, unless all your caps are bad or you have a weak spring. does the spring feel strong?

Yep, even unscrewed the nipple to raise it as a test.
Don't know what you are using for caps, but make sure that the business part of the cap (primer) is actually touching the nipple. If the cap walls are too tight the primer is not resting on the nipple. The primer itself needs to be compressed by the hammer strike. Just another thought to check out.
Flintlocklar

I'd call Traditions and bend their ear. Maybe they will send you a new lock.

I have one that I "assembled" myself.

Had the same problem, and mine worked by backing off the tension on the mounting screws just a bit.
I did note in the instructions they do mention bending the hammer...... luckily, I did not have to do that.

Edit: another member here had the same problem and tried many different things, but in the end it was the screws...... search for Gowacky on here.
One screw was too long just like mine was.

Last edited:
Back