• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kit Modified build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
A buddy bought this kit as he started into this sport. He came to me hoping for help building it so I set him down and explained why he should not open the package but sell it and get a better kit. Well he got it cheap and despite my best efforts felt the learning experience would be good so we started. The farther we went the more he learned and bought a nice rifle and shot it for the summer. He has three rifles in flint and percussion now and has lost all interest in over coming the short coming of the Traditions kit. Silly me, Asked him if I could see what can be done with it. So here we go:
Problem one, Tang is straight but should be curved. A bit of filing then hammering.
IMG_0384 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0385 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

New guy here. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of this Traditions project. Made an attempt at it last summer. I'm no craftsman(!), but found that an interesting and not-bad-looking-for-what-it-is rifle can be squeezed out of these kits.

The fore arm contouring has been extended and the part in front of the entry pipe now has a shallow V shape with the top edge rolled in. I've cut down that massive cast brass nose cap to make a trimer look. The ram rod pipes are moved and inlet so the ram rod will lay flatter in the groove. The cast cap is a very poor casting with pits.
IMG_0389 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

It will be really fun to see one of these kits come out well, and put together by someone that knows what they're doing. I look forward to following your progress. It already looks a heap better!

Hi Phil,
You are doing a nice job but let me suggest something. Make the flats around the lock and side plate smaller but not necessarily even. Thin them more on the top and less on the bottom but more overall. Locks off the chance to create an illusion. They have more mass up top because of the cock or hammer. By thinning the molding on top more than on bottom, you create the illusion of better balance. Lock moldings do not need to be even all the way around the lock plate.

dave

Dave, thanks for your observation. I will trim a bit more but this kit doesn’t allow me to do all I could.
Today all the rough shaping is done now I’m going to add a side plate to replace the washers that came in the kit. My random doddling produced this shape so I inlet it about .045” deep. I’ll chamber the edges later. Next step will be some light shaping then sanding.
49E35F97-03EC-4005-8E46-A662306C3BFB by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Some thing else I failed to mention was the trigger bar inlet was about .090” to deep so a piece of wood is added into the stock. This seems common to these kits. At this point the stock is stained and the first coat of tung oil finish is drying. At one point fake curl was considered but after a few attempts on a scrap my shaky hands convinced me lightning bolts didn’t improve the looks. Metal finish will be a rest from wood work for me.

Done, good enough for what it is. Having assembled this kit I can say now with all honesty that it's serviceable. No show piece but can be made presentable. Would I recommend one to others? No. There's better entry level kits out there that are budget priced and wouldn't require as much extra work. Those that like them have different goals then I and I would happy to share a camp fire or shooting match with them. Have fun.
IMG_0390 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0393 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Been following your progress Phil.
You have proven you can polish the proverbial turd. Well done sir, well done indeed. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.
I think your friend owes you some whiskey.

Very nice work.
Did you use a wood conditioner before staining? My first ML kit was a Lyman where I applied just Tung oil, so when I built a Traditions pistol, it did not go so well with just Tung and was very splotchy. What brand and color stain did you use?

Thanks guys.
I didn't use a wood conditioner but raised the grain three times. First with water then with weak dyed water and again with weak dyed water sanding with 320 grit each time. The finial dye is a water based dye that I mix from dry powders that I bought for Brownells years ago. When dry I rub the stock firmly with a paper towel. This burnishes the wood and removes surface pigments. A faster drying oil may be better for this type of wood as the tung oil seems to raise the grain a bit again. The top three coats on this project are True Oil cut 50% with mineral oil and a small amount of Jap Dryer added to speed drying time. This was applied very thinly.

Back