• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Kentucky Upgrade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeated question, I searched the forum but couldn’t find it answered. I have a Traditions Kentucky rifle and I was just wondering if anyone has upgraded their lock or trigger? Down the road I’d like to refinish mine and made it look more aged in addition to making it more reliable. I see that L&R makes a lock that they say is for Traditions/CVA Kentucky rifles. Has anyone swapped theirs for one of these, and how much inletting, if any, was required? I haven’t been able to find a trigger meant to be a replacement for the single trigger on the Kentucky. Any information is greatly appreciate!

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/759/1/LOCK-LR-01-F
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
Use the search on the top right of this page and type in your question and there are threads that will give you ideas. I fitted set triggers to one after modifying the lock then had to reshape the trigger guard as well.

Use the search on the top right of this page and type in your question and there are threads that will give you ideas. I fitted set triggers to one after modifying the lock then had to reshape the trigger guard as well.
Thanks Phil, I did search but couldn’t find the answer. Maybe I’ll see if I can find people fitting locks and triggers on other rifles on the forum. I need to take mine apart to understand how the trigger and lock interact with each other so I can figure out the upgrades. There just seems to be so many different trigger and lock designs, I just want to make sure they’re compatible.

Adding a set trigger will require some inletting and probably some metal work. The lock should also have a fly in the tumbler to work reliably. The cost of adding these will begin to make a different rifle that has these features seem a better route to follow. It certainly can be done and if you can do the work it’s a nice hobby job.

Ok, I found it. Not a Traditions but in the for sale section someone sold a Deer Creek rifle. To me it looks almost identical to the CVA Mountain rifle which has an identical lock. I don't know if it was also Spanish made but you might send him a PM. He replaced lock and trigger. Deer Creek sells parts for Traditions and CVA.

Hi. The Kentucky rifle, manufactured by Ardesa (Traditions), can be fitted with the flint lock to the Pennsylvania rifle of the same brand. The Pennsylvania lock has a good geometry, the frizzen is wider and also that lock is complete, since it has a bridel on the tumbler and fly. That same lock also works for Frontier and Mountain models from Dikar (CVA in USA).
Greetings from Spain.

Hi. The Kentucky rifle, manufactured by Ardesa (Traditions), can be fitted with the flint lock to the Pennsylvania rifle of the same brand. The Pennsylvania lock has a good geometry, the frizzen is wider and also that lock is complete, since it has a bridel on the tumbler and fly. That same lock also works for Frontier and Mountain models from Dikar (CVA in USA).
Greetings from Spain.
Thanks that’s really good to know!

i replaced the stock lock on a traditions deer hunter with an l&r f01 lock. it had a bit of a tail that i ground off to save inletting the stock some. it took about 20 to 30 minutes. the l&r lock is a vast improvement. however i recently acquired a new in the box traditions ky rifle in trade and i would have to say that the lock on it is much better than the stock lock on the deerhunter and sparks well. someone here once mentioned roughing up the frizzen face with some course emery cloth.. i did it on the original deer hunter lock and it helped it alot.

I converted a Hatfield perc. to an L&R flintlock last week. All I needed is to remove a little wood inside the lock mortise to make clearance for the bigger main spring and bridle, not much at all.

I recently upgraded my Traditions Kentucky rifle to L&R's RPL1 lock. There was a small amount of inletting that needed to be done with a small chisel. The manual that L&R provides shows where to remove wood within the lock mortise. I also had to file the sear arm so it wound mesh with the trigger assembly properly. There was also a tiny amount of filing on the lock plate. All in all it was minimal and did require no great skill. Sparks much better now. Traditions offers a double set trigger on there deluxe Kentucky rifle so that might be available and compatible with your rifle.

Sorry if this is a repeated question, I searched the forum but couldn’t find it answered. I have a Traditions Kentucky rifle and I was just wondering if anyone has upgraded their lock or trigger? Down the road I’d like to refinish mine and made it look more aged in addition to making it more reliable. I see that L&R makes a lock that they say is for Traditions/CVA Kentucky rifles. Has anyone swapped theirs for one of these, and how much inletting, if any, was required? I haven’t been able to find a trigger meant to be a replacement for the single trigger on the Kentucky. Any information is greatly appreciate!

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/759/1/LOCK-LR-01-F
Thanks,
Dave
yes ground the tail off the lock plate.also had to do some inletting of the mortise.......was not difficult......mine was with a synthetic stock on a deer hunter..used a dremel...it has the same or very similar stock lock. works great took about 45 minutes just go slow and dont try to take too much off at once, stop often and check. a very nice lock the L&R.

I fit an L&R flintlock to an old Jukar stock just last weekend and it took a couple of hours to get everything sorted out and working properly. Certainly not a drop in replacement but not beyond the reach of anyone with some basic woodworking skills and a little attention to detail. I was surprised by how sharp everything was on the lock, as in nothing appeared to have been deburred after machining. Of course, that's often a step neglected as manufacturers try to reduce costs and I'm sure L&R is no different than anyone else. On the plus side, that lock throws enough sparks to set a shirt sleeve on fire. Wow!

Back