• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Kentucky Stock Studded with Too Many Tacky Tacks.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64Springer

75 Cal.
Reaction score
When I built my first Traditions Kentucky rifle, I adorned it with way too many tacks. Not even tacks really. They were star embossed rivets from Tandy leather company. Ended up drilling many tiny holes so the rivets could be pressed in.

Long story short, I hated it when I was done and the rifle just sat around. So here we are fifteen years later, and all the rivets have been removed. Leaving, you guessed it, lots of little holes in the stock. Which have all been filled in with Dap wood filler.

Staining the stock is out of the question. But what about, wait for it, PAINT. Yes, paint. Been looking at Clay Smith and John Miller pieces. They use period correct colors. Mostly burgundy to reddish oranges. With some blacks and greens and creams as accents.

Do you guys have any painted rifles? Are you familiar with other builders besides the mentioned builders above?

Thanks.

When I built my first Traditions Kentucky rifle, I adorned it with way too many tacks. Not even tacks really. They were star embossed rivets from Tandy leather company. Ended up drilling many tiny holes so the rivets could be pressed in.

Long story short, I hated it when I was done and the rifle just sat around. So here we are fifteen years later, and all the rivets have been removed. Leaving, you guessed it, lots of little holes in the stock. Which have all been filled in with Dap wood filler.

Staining the stock is out of the question. But what about, wait for it, PAINT. Yes, paint. Been looking at Clay Smith and John Miller pieces. They use period correct colors. Mostly burgundy to reddish oranges. With some blacks and greens and creams as accents.

Do you guys have any painted rifles? Are you familiar with other builders besides the mentioned builders above?

Thanks.
Hey! I like the paint idea! I've seen a couple articles on them in I think Muzzleloader magazine, and really like them. There is written mention of them from the period. Go for it! I have, BTW, a Curly Gostomski Trade musket with a very tasteful, understated tack design, and love it. Let us know how you make out!

I saw one here on the forum a couple weeks back, it looked pretty good! As I recall, it was a light red color, not pink, but toward the pink side of red. Did that make sense?

I've seen a few painted guns, even one that had a halftone printed wood pattern on it. I would not like a gun that looked like Swiss cheese either. No harm in painting it. Make it hot pink. A man with a gun like that is definitely secure in his masculinity... and nobody will ever steal it.
Or My Little Pony themed.

The end grain of the dowels would absorb stain much differently than the rest of the stock.

End grain always stains much darker than side grain.

I did find a Valspar oil paint base at Lowe's. Tinted it with Valspar "Brown Plum". Two colors/terms regularly seen/used in the firearms community. Must have been fate.

Brownish burgundy looks like a 19th century color.

Attachments

• IMG_1890.JPG
    IMG_1890.JPG
    481.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Could artificially stripe it so it looks like a good grade of maple. I've done this a few times on so-so wood with great results.

Back