• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions kentucky rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo55

32 Cal
Reaction score
Is there anybody out there who restocked two piece stock with a one piece one. I don't know what I was thinking buying this piece of manure! But I am in now and just want to try and salvage project.

Is there anybody out there who restocked two piece stock with a one piece one. I don't know what I was thinking buying this piece of manure! But I am in now and just want to try and salvage project.

What's wrong with the original 2 piece stock ?

The problem with trying to improve a Traditions Kentucky is that when you're finished you don't have a Traditions Kentucky any more. Much easier to start out that way, than to do it as an after thought..

"The problem with trying to improve a Traditions Kentucky is that when you're finished you don't have a Traditions Kentucky any more."

But ya still have a KY rifle! Might be worth more after the "customization". Its the barrel that makes it (if ya inlet it and mount it correctly). These can be remarkedly accurate.

IMG_1333[559].jpg
What? You mean that you don't like the look of the two piece stock? This is the CVA version of the Pa. rifle in .45 calibre.

Well what a hell of a way to come back! Welcome. $52.00 split freight

This is going to take us all day with $1 increments. I'll let you have it, The Traditions versions are 50 cal. I don't need another 50 cal.

Its the barrel that makes it (if ya inlet it and mount it correctly). These can be remarkedly accurate.

That was certainly true with the old CVA's and Jukar's

A traditions rifle costs what ? $400. ? that makes for an expensive barrel for a gun build.

My dad's is a tack driver. I love shooting it as well. She loves a 60 gns charge, .015 patch and a .498 ball. Matter of fact, I came in second place in our Fall rendezvous with it and only lost by a single point to a friend who shoots a custom 42 inch barrel flintlock. Just last week, dad's second shot at 116 yards was dead nuts! He was only 1/4 inch to the left of bullseye and perfect elevation. He said it was luck, but I told him no it was not either. It was the fact he been shooting for a long time. He is 76.

Apollo
You have the parts for rifle adding a piece of wood make sense if your up to it. To me a blank of wood would be easier to fit the parts to. As you can see here even the folks that like them a CVA is a project not an investment. The barrel is good but the rest is marginal. Good luck on your kit.

I had a .45 caliber CVA version. Identical to the current Traditions except for the caliber.
The two piece stock does not affect accuracy.
With the proper load, I could (and did) shoot 1 inch diameter broom sticks at 100 yards, 10 out of 10 tries.
(easy shot. At 100 yards, the front sight blade and broom stick appear the same witdth. Just line them up. 😷)
If I remembed correctly, a patched .440 round ball in front of my "hunting load" of 140 grains FG real black powder.

If you don't like the looks of the brass spacer, you can always make a wood spacer the same size and stain to match your stock.

The CVA/Traditions Kentucky Rifle is a exceptional arm. It shoots well above its price point.
A P.O.S. they ain't.
Admittedly, they don't have the snob appeal of a multi thousand dollar custom.
If you want something that "impresses" people ... show them the target groops after you sight it in.
Mine shot 1 MOA at 100 yards, using the factory not adjustable sights.

Last edited:
I helped a friend build up a Traditions Deluxe Kentucky flinter kit, the one with a set trigger. The joining of the buttstock, plate and forestock with epoxy adhesive was accomplished using the barrel as an alignment fixture. Barrel was coated with mold release for about two inches fore and aft of the joint, wood parts, pins and plate well coated with epoxy, then assembled. Excess, squeezed out epoxy was wiped off, barrel put in place and strapped down with latex tubing, then left too cure for twenty-four hours.

This has turned out to be a quite accurate rifle. The 1:66 rate of twist works just fine with a .490 ball, cut at the muzzle ticking patch, and beeswax and olive oil lube.

BTW, the metal was cold cold blued, and the white beech stock finished with a very dark brown stain and finish combination product from Home Depot. Quite a dramatic look!

Good things to read here. I just bought a Traditions Kentucky kit and it delivers on Monday. Not top of the line by any means but a rather inexpensive way to at least get a shooting grade flintlock.

You can do a lot with what the rifle has to offer. Here is an old CVA Kentucky in 45. I basically joined the two pieces together to make a solid stock out of it. A lot of rework, refinish a new trigger guard and nose piece. It can do a lot for the looks and all it took was a little thinking and elbow grease and not be afraid to try.

Attachments

• CVA KENTUCKY 1.jpg
    CVA KENTUCKY 1.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 100
  • CVA KENTUCKY 2.jpg
    CVA KENTUCKY 2.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 90
  • CVA KENTUCKY 5.jpg
    CVA KENTUCKY 5.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 103
  • CVA KENTUCKY 4.jpg
    CVA KENTUCKY 4.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 98
  • CVA KENTUCKY 8.jpg
    CVA KENTUCKY 8.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 98
Two piece stocks are not all that bad. I'd rather have one piece, yes, but two piece doesn't make it a P.O.S. There are actually some old originals that were done that way.

Yup, this. While I'm not fond of the Ardesa 2 pc arraignment, the gun is not a POS.

"The problem with trying to improve a Traditions Kentucky is that when you're finished you don't have a Traditions Kentucky any more."

But ya still have a KY rifle! Might be worth more after the "customization". Its the barrel that makes it (if ya inlet it and mount it correctly). These can be remarkedly accurate.

Yup, the Ardesa barrels can be VERY accurate. It's not a PC/HC firearm, but it's not a POS.

Back