• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Kentucky Rifle Kit-Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckyTAL

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Traditions Kentucky Rifle Kit, which had already been assembled.
I purchased it in the classified section of the forum.

I have an issue with the rear sight. It's way too low!

With my cheek on the butt stock I can not get the front blade to line up vertically with the rear sight notch (not even close).
The complete front sight assembly, and part of the end of the barrel are completely above the rear sight blade, when looking down the barrel.

Are there replacement rear sights for this rifle? Preferably something adjustable, and not really expensive.

Is there possibly a problem with the rifle?

This is my first muzzleloading rifle and I could use some advice.

Thank you,
Tim

The issue may not be sights too low but stock comb too high. The front sight is left deliberately taller than the rear so that one can file it down just enough to achieve a perfect zero. That said, "Track of the Wolf" has a great variety of traditional rear sights from which to choose and you surely can find something better to your liking. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?Search=sights

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what your sight problem might be :hmm: Do your sights look like these on my old CVA Kentucky?

002-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

If so they should work. Your front sight blade is probably alot higher than the one in my pic though because you have to file them down when you sight in the gun. Full height, they`ll probably shoot low.
If you want different sights that`s easy too though because they`re just dovetailed in. You probably won`t be able to find any that already fit your barrel because the Traditions stuff is made in Spain and metric. That`s no problem though just get one with a wider base than your original and file it to fit.

Track of the Wolf is a good place to look for sights. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartList.aspx?catID=14&subID=167&styleID=767

CoyoteJoe said:
The issue may not be sights too low but stock comb too high. The front sight is left deliberately taller than the rear so that one can file it down just enough to achieve a perfect zero. That said, "Track of the Wolf" has a great variety of traditional rear sights from which to choose and you surely can find something better to your liking. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?Search=sights[/quote]

CoyoteJoe,
I agree, but I'd have to remove at least a 1/2" from the comb for the sights to work.
I think I've found something that will work on trackthewolf.
Thanks for the help!
Tim

SgtSchutzen,
The sight look exactly like that.
When I sight down the barrel the complete front sight assembly appears about a half inch above the top of the rear sight blade.
I agree with CoyoteJoe, the stock comb is high, but way too much stock would need to be removed.
So I think replacing the rear sight will be necessary.
Thanks,
Tim

Well if you have to lower the comb 1/2" you would likewise have to raise the sight line 1/2" and that doesn't seem very practical since the existing sights are really not especially low, but good luck. Maybe a combination of lower comb and taller sights?

Actually, the more I handle the rifle, the more I think it's a "length of pull" issue.
If I put the butt plate in my bicep area, instead of the shoulder, the sights align fine.

Well at least we know you have the original sights that came with the kit. I was thinking maybe the prior owner changed the rear sight for a really low one or something. You should be able to come up with something that works for ya. Them Kentuckys are usually sweet shooters after you get them dialed in with a load they like.

"Track of the Wolf" has a screw adjustable rear sight for $10.99.
I figure for $10.99 it's worth a try. Plus I'll have a rear sight adjustable for elevation.

I would think that by just changing the rear sight for a higher one, your rifle will hit very high.

KentuckyTAL said:
"Track of the Wolf" has a screw adjustable rear sight for $10.99.
I figure for $10.99 it's worth a try. Plus I'll have a rear sight adjustable for elevation.

Be aware that these spanish guns have a smaller sight dovetail than normal. You may have to widen the dovetail with a file

Bob

Leatherbark said:
Above the bicep is the correct placement for that type of buttplate.

Bob

Bob,

So you're saying that the gun isn't meant to be shouldered like regular hunting rifle? Like my Savage 30-06?

KentuckyTAL said:
Actually, the more I handle the rifle, the more I think it's a "length of pull" issue.
If I put the butt plate in my bicep area, instead of the shoulder, the sights align fine.

If I put the butt plate to my shoulder like a regular rifle, I need to slant my head until the upper part of my cheek bone is resting on the top of the comb, in order to get correct sight alignment.
A very uncomfortable and unnatural position indeed.

KentuckyTAL said:
Leatherbark said:

Bob

Bob,

So you're saying that the gun isn't meant to be shouldered like regular hunting rifle? Like my Savage 30-06?

Exactly what hes saying. I have the traditions kentucky as well and zero issues with the sights. Im 6'3" and the sights pop right into view.

Kentuckywindage said:
KentuckyTAL said:
Leatherbark said:

Bob

Bob,

Exactly what hes saying. I have the traditions kentucky as well and zero issues with the sights. Im 6'3" and the sights pop right into view.

This is all new to me...
The position in which I need to be in to align the sights feels very unnatural.
I've shot other kit style muzzleloaders and had no issues.
My cousin has a Hawken rifle, I pull it up as I would a normal centerfire rifle, and the sights align perfectly.
Is the Kentucky rifle that much different?

After handling the rifle a little more, I think I've got it.
You don't shoulder it like a typical centerfire rifle.
It's a learning thing.
Thanks for all the advice folks!
Tim

Still a taller set of sights might be better for you. If you really want to shoulder a muzzleloader that does not aim good try a 1853 pattern Enfield .577 caliber. In order to see down the sights you have to face the target and shoulder the gun at 90 degrees from your torso be able to cheek down on the sights.

On your gun if you hold your right arm (assuming your right handed) directly out to the right while mounting the rifle the butt should fit in the notch between the front of the shoulder and the bicep.

Bob

That sight has a height of .440 inch above the barrel at its lowest setting. Your front sight should be at least that high so you can raise the rear to get you where you need to be.

Be aware that the sight in your link will have a larger dovetail. You will need a triangular file to open up the dovetail on your rifle to make it fit. It helps if you grind one side of the triangular file smooth so you only cut one side at a time.

Bonne Chance

Bob

Back