• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Kentucky Rifle Kit- Left Hand Concern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCLeunissen

32 Cal
Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum. I am wanting to build the Traditions Kentucky Rifle .50 Cal Percussion Kit. My problem is that I am left handed and they do not have a left handed version of that kit or any other. I normally would just shoot any right handed rifle left handed but with the way these rifles are I just was not sure if the cap would mess with my eye sight in my left eye or if there is some sort of a shield that I could put onto it to stop that possible issue. Thanks in advance.

I'm so left-handed I can't even pick my nose right-handed. All my muzzleloaders are right-hand and have never been a problem. In fact, it makes the TC Hawken more comfortable to me than to most right-handers because that bulbous cheek rest doesn't get in my way. Wear shooting glasses(which you should do anyway) and you'll be fine. And if you're shooting from a rest, long sleeves are nice.

In fact, a few years ago I bought a left-hand Renegade and it just felt completely foreign to me. Never could learn to like it.

Welcome to the forum. If you haven't purchased your kit yet, you could check out Lyman muzzleloader rifles. They have several models of finished guns in left hand.
I recommend the gun works/muzzleloading emporium as an online source.

For what it's worth, just for the challenge, I will shoot my wife's left handed flintlock from my right side. I am right handed, right eye dominate. But I wear eyeglasses all of the time.
But, as I said in my other post, eye protection while shooting any firearm, especially muzzle loading rifles, is important.

My first and only build so far was a Traditions Kentucky 50 cal cap kit. I had a devil of a time with the gap between the fore stock and the butt stock. If I got that to match then the gap between the fore stock and the brass end gap opened up. I will have try to make a filler plate to fill the rear gap. I will never again purchase a two piece stock kit. Anyway it does shoot well.

I'm right handed but shoot long guns left shouldered. I have three Flintlocks that are right handed and they don't bother me shooting left shouldered, my cap guns are the same. I have one cap rifle that's a lefty and it always looks funny to me but makes no difference when shooting it. Just make sure to wear good glasses when shooting anything.

I picked up a left hand TC Renegade a few years ago and I shoot it right handed. To me it's no different than shooting the left barrel on a double gun.

That's what I tell people, one barrel of a double gun is always gonna be other-handed.

The only concern might be cap flash on the inside of your right arm (near the wrist.) The cup mentioned above will take care of that, or wear a guard on your wrist (I use a cut off sock.)

ADK Bigfoot

I have a nice little .45 percussion and I put that brass cup on mine. They are worthwhile, IMHO, because the only rifles that ever spit on me were percussion.

One I have had the brass cup on it. Removed it after first shot. Blew debris back in to my face. Cup great for underhammer, about all.

Some like the brass cup, I don't. Best thing to do shooting left handed with a right hand percussion gun is wear something to cover your wrist and forearm along with safety glasses.

Pecatonica River has several LH kits, my Virginia rifle came from there. It's not a parts drop in kit though, some fitting will have to be done.

This is my first post on this forum. I am wanting to build the Traditions Kentucky Rifle .50 Cal Percussion Kit. My problem is that I am left handed and they do not have a left handed version of that kit or any other. I normally would just shoot any right handed rifle left handed but with the way these rifles are I just was not sure if the cap would mess with my eye sight in my left eye or if there is some sort of a shield that I could put onto it to stop that possible issue. Thanks in advance.

Never shoot a BP gun without eye protection.
Especially percussion guns.

There are left handed kits out there that are light years ahead of the quality of a Traditions. Personally I wouldn't waste my money if you possess modest skills and own a few tools.

Back