• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky rifle kit arrived.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakerjw

32 Cal
Reaction score
Well, my initial foray into black powder muzzle loaders started yesterday with the arrival of a Traditions 50 caliber Kentucky flintlock rifle.
I didn't want to jump in too deep and the Traditions kits are well known and not terribly expensive.
Lack of instructions wasn't too big of a deal as I can find everything online.
Looking forward to dong the build though.

They are a lot of fun to build. I'm about 75% of my way through my first build, a Traditions Kentucky long rifle in 50 cal percussion and am already thinking about the next.
The best advise I have to work slow and think through each step.... I get to refinish my ramrod as I failed to realize the screw that holds the ramrod pipe on was too far in and gouged the ramrod when I put it in. But the nice thing with a Traditions kit is they will make a decent rifle at relatively low cost and will teach you many things for you next one (it is my understanding building a muzzleloader is eating chips, you can't just have one)

Take your time. With some imagination and effort, you can make a unique gun. I've made 2, one percussion, one flint. The flinter I was able to rework to represent an 1810s New England style gun. I've made a couple posts here in the forums detailing them.

Latest posts

Back