• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky Rifle Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Barnes

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am putting together my first kit and only have a few steps left. One of them being installing the sights into the dovetails.

My problem is that when I put the sights into the dove tail ( from right to left) it slides completely though with little to no resistance on both the front and read sights.

Any way to fix this?

place the sight in the dove tail center it then with a pointed punch and a hammer hit the barrel to force the dove tail to close/upset pinching the sight in place (only do this after finishing the barrel ,I filed /sanded and then browned)I also dress mine up and used cherry stain
In the mean time you could shim with some paper under the sight base.
DSC03290.JPG

If it seems too loose you can add a thin shim to one side along with pinching.
If you add a dab of solder to the bottom of the base it will be a permanent shim. Make sure the solder is stuck, not just blobbed there. You don't have to fill the whole base. This bump will now have to be trimmed down with a file. Work slow and make sure you don't remove too much solder. Once you get the sight started, hammer drive it in, using a brass punch against the sight base. It is very important that the barrel be locked in a vice at the sight location, so it does not bounce while driving the sight in. Another method is to stipple the base with a punch. In other words make the base have bumps, making it thicker to wedge against the dovetail in the barrel. A third method, is to turn the upper lip on the barrel dovetail down with a hammer, then install the sight. This can be ugly, if you are not neat about it.
Good luck

Ended up stipple on the bottom and flailing the corners of the dovetail with a nail punch. Worked great! Thanks all for the replies.

Latest posts

Back