• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Kentucky pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyness1215

32 Cal
Reaction score
Do you think a Traditions Kentucky pistol with a 10inch barrel with a .480 ball 170gr. RB with 30 gr of 777 BP with a .015 patch kill a deer what are your thoughts??? P.S I would keep shots limited to no more than 30 yards

I have a Traditions Trapper I run with a .490 ball and either a .010 or .015 patch (still experimenting), all over 40gr of fffg black powder. I don't have a chrono to measure velocity, but it doesn't exactly feel like it's launching the ball at the velocity I'd want for taking down a deer. I would rather add another 5-10gr to the load before using it on a deer.

The 30gr you are loading under that ball might be pushing the projectile a smidge too slow for use on deer.

30 grains might be enough if you're shot is close, under 20 yards.
I've been working on a hunting load for my old CVA mountain pistol, 50 caliber.
So far, I think that 45 grains of 3f Swiss with a Hornady 240 grain PA conical bullet is going to be it.
Although I might try upping the charge to 50 grains of powder.
With your Kentucky pistol, you could try a bit more powder, 35-40 grains.

40 grains of 3f with a .490 round ball with .015 mink oil lubed patch has taken 3 deer for me so far in my Traditions Trapper. I limit my shots to 35 yards or less, and only take broadside shots behind the shoulder. The farthest any deer has gone after the shot is about 25 yards. this year I am going to use my Lyman Plains pistol in 54 to see if it drops deer any faster.

40 grains of 3f with a .490 round ball with .015 mink oil lubed patch has taken 3 deer for me so far in my Traditions Trapper. I limit my shots to 35 yards or less, and only take broadside shots behind the shoulder. The farthest any deer has gone after the shot is about 25 yards. this year I am going to use my Lyman Plains pistol in 54 to see if it drops deer any faster.
Thanks for providing some real-world data on the subject. That kind of information is worth its weight in gold. Three deer is a pretty reliable data set. It seems I've been doing my range work with an actual deer load and didn't even know it.

Thanks for providing some real-world data on the subject. That kind of information is worth its weight in gold. Three deer is a pretty reliable data set. It seems I've been doing my range work with an actual deer load and didn't even know it.
I should add, that with all three deer shot with that .50 load, I had complete pass thru. One ball was found just under the hide on the far side, and it was flattened to about the size of a nickle. I f I remember correctly, the ball hit a rib on the far side.

I should add, that with all three deer shot with that .50 load, I had complete pass thru. One ball was found just under the hide on the far side, and it was flattened to about the size of a nickle. I f I remember correctly, the ball hit a rib on the far side.
Impressive performance! I didn't think pass-through would even occur from a pistol on a deer.

Impressive performance! I didn't think pass-through would even occur from a pistol on a deer.
As stated in my first post, I only take broad side behind the shoulder shots at no more than 35 yards. All of the deer taken so far have been within 25 yards, maybe less. At about 700 FPS that .50 caliber ball packs a pretty good punch. A 45 ACP is not much faster, and it is smaller with bullets that are not pure lead.

I have taken 2 doe's with my traditions Kentucky pistol I limit my shots to 30-yard Max broadside heart shot
.490 ball, .015 patch
30 grains 3f 777
Avg. velocity 858 fps
289 ft/lbs energy

I have taken 2 doe's with my traditions Kentucky pistol I limit my shots to 30-yard Max broadside heart shot
.490 ball, .015 patch
30 grains 3f 777
Avg. velocity 858 fps
289 ft/lbs energy
Awesome report. The velocity and energy figures are particularly informative. Not everyone has a chrono, so posting what you have actually measured is much appreciated.

Do you think a Traditions Kentucky pistol with a 10inch barrel with a .480 ball 170gr. RB with 30 gr of 777 BP with a .015 patch kill a deer what are your thoughts??? P.S I would keep shots limited to no more than 30 yards
its all about the shot placement. that load will kill a deer

No doubt would take a deer with the higher loads mentioned here. I shoot 25 grains for target shooting and achieve great accuracy. And even that load at a short distance I'm sure would penetrate.

I haven't shot many deer with the pistols, but I have shot quite a few hogs. Normally I used a .50, with 30 gr. of 3f... I limited my range to within about 35 yards.
wSVzXcNl.jpg

Even a .40 ca. with 30 grains of 3f will do the job....just have to hit em' in a right spot !!
9oZomwRl.jpg

Back