• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions Kentucky Pistol Trigger Spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After seeking input from this thread: Traditions Ketucky Pistol Trigger Spring?

I went ahead with making a trigger spring. The solutions that involve a spring steel wire and the trigger pin saddle and retention screw didn't work out for me. At age 72, with cataracts developing and arthritis in my fingers, working with those small parts drove me nuts. I spent about four hours with sections of spring wire cut from a pistol magazine spring, about half of which was spent looking for microscopic parts I had dropped or which had had gone seeking a new home in the detritus around the workbench.

So I started working on the compression spring idea. I drilled a small hole in the trigger bar to retain the spring end, with two small cuts in the bar to position and hold it. The first spring I tried was a recoil spring from a junked 9 mm pistol. That was too big. Then I tried a recoil spring from a junked 22 WMR pistol. The size was right, so it was just a matter of trimming coils until the "feel" seemed right. Position needs to be to the rear, behind the the point at which the sear's post, or whatever you call it, the trigger bar contacts:

ky_build_57.JPG

It's necessary to drill or route a small recess in the action cavity to retain the spring end, otherwise with trigger pull the top end wants to slide forward:

ky_build_58.JPG

And also with trigger pull, you don't want the spring to bulge too far forward and interfere with the trigger bar's translation to the sear post:

ky_build_59.JPG

So far, seems to work as advertised; yet to be seen how it translates into real shooting.

Last edited:
Back